Chapter 17

Another two days passed before Riddin believed Iris well enough to see any other visitors, but Enda still did not allow Alaraec to enter. He understood, but Raec did not have to like it. To protect her image—and not to mention his—he could not visit her while she was abed. He could have maybe done so if they had a chaperone, but Enda would not let him through the door. The small woman could be surprisingly intimidating when she put her mind to it, and Iris's illness had been one of those times. According to Enda, Iris said she had eaten something spoiled. Raec did not believe that for a minute, and if he read Enda's eyes correctly, she did not either. Enda also knew more than she was telling him, Raec knew, but he would not push her. The woman could be more stubborn than an indifferent donkey at times, and Raec meant that in the best way. He would have had more luck arguing with a wall.

He raised his hand to knock on Iris's door, but it swung inward. Raec stuttered to speak. "Good morning, Enda."

"The physician said she's well enough to leave her room." Her grin was infectious; Alaraec joined her. "Riddin thought it would be good for her, actually."

"Then what are we waiting for?" He stepped forward, but he ran into Enda's hand.

"Give us ten minutes?"

"You are driving me mad, my lady."

"It's good for you to have to wait for what you want." Enda winked. "Stay out in the anteroom, and I'll bring Iris out when she's ready."

Raec bowed his head in thanks and entered the room. He offered Enda his arm to support her, but she waved him off and walked slowly to the other door. She still limped, but not as much as usual without her crutch. She must have been wearing a new version of Bren's brace. Enda slipped through the other door, and both Iris and Enda's voices leaked through—though he could not decipher any words. Iris's voice seemed tired, lower and breathier than the last time he heard it.

Perhaps it was childish of him to have his ear up against the door, but he needed to silence his own doubts of Iris's wellbeing. He needed to see and hear her for himself. Maybe it was worse than childish; eavesdropping was foolish. The door swung inward when he was not expecting it. Raec flailed his arms and managed to regain his balance before his face could meet the floor.

He wanted to be embarrassed but could not be, as Iris's soft laughter met his ears. She placed a hand on his arm, her nails shiny under the light streaming through the window. Her skin was too white, but there was strength in her fingers. Raec did not think he had seen anything so beautiful, up until his eyes went from her fingers to her face. There she was, smiling at him, and Raec's breath left him.

"Are you well, my lord?" Iris asked.

"I think that's the question I should be asking you."

"I've been better, but I'm getting there." She shrugged her shoulders. The green dress fit her loosely. Whether that due to its design or how Iris had lost weight, Alaraec did not know.

"I'm so happy to see you," he whispered.

"Thank you for providing me with the best of care. You may not have seen me otherwise." Iris turned her attention to Enda. "And thank you for helping me, too. I can't remember if I've said that."

"No thanks necessary." Alaraec answered for them both. He put his hand over hers on his arm and squeezed her fingers. "Riddin said you could walk?"

"Probably not far. I feel as fragile as a baby."

Enda came up to Iris's other side. "We'll help you."

Iris was about to protest—Raec could see it in her eyes—but she acquiesced with a nod. "Thank you."