Chapter 36

Enda was right, Bren would not say a word. Any time Raec brought up Iris, the other man changed the subject, most often Enda's horse. When Raec needed an escape, he would work with the bay filly. Vidanric was better, but Alaraec could reinforce his training. The young equine had to be one of the smartest Raec had ever encountered. Vidanric made the same comment. Where some horses required constant repetition, Enda's did not. Expose her to a cue five times, and she understood and would not forget it. Raec had also helped with the saddle, but Bren was the inventor. Though he understood the mechanics of a saddle, Bren never rode. There were some qualities that only an equestrian would know. That was where Raec came in. Working with the bay horse kept her mind off Iris. But he would also exercise Twilight and Joy, and the heartache and emptiness would return all over again.

He was just finishing with Joy in the covered round pen when he noticed his mother leaning against the gate. Alaraec slipped off the horse's halter and crossed the dirt to stand next to Meliara, tilting his head sideways at his mother's expression. "Is something wrong?"

"That's Iris's horse, isn't it?" Mel asked.

Raec nodded. "I want to make sure he's ready for her when she comes back."

"You think she will?"

"I'd like to think so." Alaraec shrugged before frowning. "I hope so."

Mel nodded.

"Why are you here?"

"Because I'm your mother. And I'm worried about you," Meliara said. She reached through the gate to put a hand on Raec's arm.

It was Alaraec's turn not to say anything. He swallowed and looked away from her. Everything had started reminding him of Iris. The library. The marketplace. The orphanage. Even walking through the halls, he'd see a bust and think of the fictional stories she told. He missed her sorely, even if she had deceived him. She had not meant it. It hurt that she did not trust him to tell the truth, but at the same time he could not blame her. Not completely. If he had been in her situation, under a high amount of pressure, with an ultimatum hanging over his head...Alaraec might have acted similarly.

"We've sent men to some of the towns. No luck with Iris's parents yet." Mel knew what would get his son's attention. His focus centered on her. She frowned. "They covered their tracks."

Raec hesitated to say anything.

"What's on your mind, Raec? You're almost as bad as I am about hiding your thoughts."

"I don't like what Father has done."

"With news of Iris?"

Alaraec nodded.

"He's only doing what he thinks will help find the Therens," Meliara said.

"I know that." Raec swallowed, moving to fold his arms across his chest. "But the people...they've gone from loving Iris to vilifying her."

"Not everyone. Not even most of them."

Raec frowned, and Mel put a hand on his arm.

"You're only hearing what you don't want to hear." Her voice softened. "Some people are infuriated, yes. They blame her in the assassination attempt, and now that she's gone, they think she's guilty. They need someone to target."

"And that person is Iris?" Raec finally looked at her, his expression firm.

"Unfortunately, yes." Meliara sighed. "They don't have answers for the why, so the public at least wants a who. It's tragic, but that's the truth of it."

Raec said nothing.

"But others—most others—don't believe she could've had anything to do with it." At Raec's surprised expression, Meliara continued. "They've observed your behavior together, and they've seen Iris alone. They believe there's more to the story."