Chapter 37

Iris rolled over in her bed, blinking in the darkness of her small room. It wasn't much, and she had few belongings, but...she still had a sense of pride in what surrounded her. With Ryder's help, she'd been sleeping better, which improved her performance for Donric. It was enough for him to start paying her a stipend. Not large but enough for Iris to purchase some new clothes to replace the threadbare garments Bren had sent with her. A few trinkets to make the space homier, including books. Her very own books. One was in the Common Tongue, one in Venn, and a third in a language she was still learning. It turned out Iris had a knack for languages, and once she started practicing, they came to her easily. She wasn't fluent in Venn, but she was close enough to pass. Almost all her conversations with the Keeper were now in Venn. Because of it, it seemed to Iris that the elder woman liked her more.

She stretched her arms over her head before sitting up and putting her bare feet against the cold floor. After getting dressed, Iris went to Donric's office. The man who still reminded her of Cetus sat behind his desk, scribbling furiously. A serious expression furrowed his brow, and he didn't notice Iris until she sat in the chair in front of him. His gray eyes shot up for a second before returning to his work. After two months, Iris understood Donric well enough to know not to interrupt until he finished. His shoulders rose and fell as he took a breath and set down his pen. He leaned back to look at her.

"You're doing well," he said in Venn.

Iris nodded in acknowledgment.

"Tea?" He reached behind him and set a cup before her. After pouring the light brown liquid into it, Donric flicked his fingers. Steam began rising from the cup. He only continued once Iris had picked it up. "You have great potential."

She took a swallow. The temperature was perfect. "I don't know what to say beyond how grateful I am."

The librarian nodded, watching her carefully. His focus made Iris uncomfortable, as again, he looked like an elder version of Cetus, but she would not allow herself to squirm. "Have you ever considered studying magic on top of history?"

Iris choked on the tea. She cleared her throat. "Excuse me?"

"There's some natural talent to it, but it's mostly a learned skill," Donric said. "Through practice and study—which you do much of already."

She shook her head. "I came here for answers. That's all."

One corner of his lips curled up in a smile. "You're not curious?"

Yes, she was. Iris's life before Remalna-city was one town. She knew nothing beyond what her parents offered her, and Iris had been content with that. That might have sounded crazy to some, but Iris did not know she could experience anything beyond the town's outskirts. She thought she had enough. The now Iris felt differently, and she could never go back to that. Her world had expanded, and the island of her childhood was no longer enough. It never would be enough again.

But that mindset was not so easily set aside. She never considered studying magic because Iris never thought that opportunity would be presented to her. Her fingers tightened on the cup, and her focus went to the window behind Donric's head. Magic was so uncommon in Remalna, besides a few basic spells. Would having that skill ostracize her further, more of an anomaly?

It couldn't get much worse, Iris thought, thinking of what she left behind.

She never intended to go back. She couldn't. She couldn't bear to hear of Alaraec's life. Couldn't bear to be hunted all her days, even if she did deserve it. While Iris still felt guilty, the voices were not tormenting her as much as they used to. She felt...freer. Not weightless. Not pure, but...freer. Iris was unsure whether she would ever feel clean again, not after everything she'd done. But maybe—just maybe—she could move on.