Chapter 42

Today was a special day. He should be excited. Grinning from ear to ear as he considered the surprise awaiting Enda. It was finally her name day. Well...past it. It had taken longer to train the filly than anyone had anticipated, or at least, that was Alaraec's excuse. He wanted to spend as much time with the young mare as possible because it kept his mind off Iris and where she might be. At least if she did come back, fear of her parents would not stand in the way. Cetus and Cassiopeia Theren would never interfere in Iris's life ever again. Their trials had yet to occur, but they would. And while Vidanric would serve as judge during the proceedings, he would not make the final ruling. Instead, the Therens' case would be placed before a select group of Remalna's average citizens. There would be no possibility of bias on the king's part.

Alaraec had checked Bren's status before dawn. He said the filly was ready, an excited but anxious smile on his face. He and Alaraec always gave Enda small things on her name day. Never anything like a horse and a special saddle. Raec had to assure Bren numerous times that this was the right decision. That Enda would love the gesture. And that the filly wouldn't hurt her. Yes, she was young. But Alaraec and the other trainers—including Vidanric—had exposed the mare to every stimulation they could think of. She had taken everything in stride. Furthermore, it wasn't like Raec would just...send her off to face the world without lessons. And she definitely would not be going anywhere alone, even if she wanted to do so. Raec would go. Or Bren. Or both. Who was he kidding, it would probably be both.

Enda was not in the library, which meant he could find her in the ballroom. Before leaving, though, Alareac pulled a copy of One Day More off the shelves out of habit. At this point, he could find it with his eyes closed, even if he started off on the room's other side. He flipped to the back and touched the leather cover.

Not Iris's. He could tell the difference within ten seconds. He closed the book and replaced it on the shelf. He wandered to the ballroom, his feet knowing the way. It was second nature at this point; after all, he had grown up on the palace grounds. He stood in the door when he arrived, watching Enda at the keys.

She was not playing a happy tune.

Instead, Enda sounded...frustrated. Many clashing notes, which was uncommon for Enda. He thought she was making mistakes, but upon further study, he realized it was purposeful. She so rarely expressed her frustrations. Enda believed she always had to put her best foot forward. To be polite, kind, and sincere. Even with Raec and Bren, Enda always seemed to hold back a piece of herself. Like she had something to prove.

She held out a note and folded her hands in her lap, clasping her fingers together. She looked over her shoulder at him. "How is everything?"

"Fine," Raec replied. He sat down beside her on the bench, putting both of his hands over hers. "But you're not. What's the matter?"

"Ovel Klee."

"He still not leaving you alone?" Alaraec frowned.

"No. If anything, he's grown worse. I'm trying not to encourage him, but he won't leave me at peace. He is polite enough, but there is nothing special about him. He wants to associate with me because of my proximity to you. Nothing more."

Raec did not doubt her assessment, as Enda was a fantastic judge of character, better than he was, absolutely. Raec squeezed her hands. "Do you think so little of yourself?"

Enda scoffed at him, pulling away from him. "Please. The first thing people see with me is my leg; no one wants anything to do with a cripple. But I am close to you—and people think they can get to you through me. Which I would never allow, but..."