Chapter 20

Raec watched, smiling as Iris ran the soft-bristled brush over Twilight's pale coat.  The mare's side twitched, dislodging a fly.  Twilight snorted and flicked an ear when Iris mumbled something to her, too soft for Raec to hear from standing beside the support column.  When Iris moved to Twilight's neck and started plaiting the mare's mane, Raec decided it was time to join her.

"You're spoiling my horse," Raec teased, nudging Iris with his elbow.

"She deserves the pampering," Iris said. "And she'll look beautiful with the braids."

"I don't know, she'd have tough competition."

"With whom?"

"You."

Iris smiled, her cheeks turning an adorable shade of pink.  Normally, she wore her long brown hair loose, but she had pulled it back today in a loose braid.  Iris kept brushing back a tendril; Alaraec had to resist the temptation to do it for her.  Her hair was beautiful, but he liked it in the braid.  He could see her face better—appreciate more the line of her neck and the curve of her jaw.  Raec had been around many beautiful women, but all paled in comparison to Iris.  She had a genuineness about her that made her more appealing—like she did not realize her own attractiveness.

To restrain himself from kissing her rosy cheek, Raec turned his face at the sound of boots moving in their direction.  Raec saw only the briefest glimpse of his father before Vidanric turned a corner, but Bren kept coming.  When Bren and Raec caught each other's eyes, Bren looked like he had seen a mythical creature.  His eyes widened, and his jaw clenched.  Bren's gaze dropped to his dirty boots as he walked, hands behind his back.  Raec did not think he had ever seen the muscular Bren embarrassed.

"What were you doing with my father?"

Bren increased his speed, crouching his shoulders when he joined them. "Keep your voices down; have you seen Enda?"

"She's with her father today," Alaraec said. "Are you going to tell?"

"There's nothing to tell," Bren said.

"You think either of us believes you?" Iris finished the braid she was working on and turned around to look at Bren with a raised brow.

Bren shifted his weight from one foot to the other, digging his thumbs into his pockets. "It's supposed to be a surprise."

"For whom?" Iris asked.

"Enda."

"Why would you need to involve my father in a surprise for Enda?" Raec asked.

"Her name day is nearing, and I-I wanted to do something special for her."

Alaraec moved his hand in a circular motion in front of him, prompting Bren to continue.

"You know how she loves horses so much, right?  But has never truly ridden?" Bren started pacing, using his hands to speak as much as his voice. "I couldn't help but think of the last ride with Iris and Twilight.  And how we put Enda on Twilight, and how happy she was."

"You're holding us in anticipation, Bren," Iris jested.

"I've asked Vidanric to help me train a horse for Enda—one that will respond to vocal and other cues rather than pressure from the leg." Bren's eyes went to Alaraec first, then moved to Iris. "I've already been working on designs for a special saddle.  The king said he would be more than happy to help.  Today, we...we picked out a horse."

"That's perfect," Iris said warmly, approval in her tone. "Enda will adore it."

"You think so?" Bren grinned.