Chapter 39

Iris now knew Setazhia better than she did her hometown. Considering she rarely went anywhere, though, that did not much surprise her. It was freeing, to be able to walk the entire island. Once she finished her work for Donric each day, he let her do as she pleased. He had arranged for her to study some magic, but despite all her efforts, Iris had no talent for it. She dropped out of the program after one semester's worth of sessions. But Iris learned in other ways—through reading and exploring. She had perfected her use of Venn to fluency, and she was proficient enough in three others. She went by Eliev here, and in so many ways, she was Eliev from One Day More. Living on her own. Having an adventure. Experiencing new things, new people, and new traditions.

But her heart felt empty.

Without her friends in Remalna, it always would be. Alaraec had left over three months ago, and yet the pain in her heart had not lessened. If anything, it had grown worse.

She understood now.

After many late nights, and many candles burned, Iris understood that everything her parents had told her was a twisted interpretation of the truth. Numerous chapters, a multitude of books, and Iris finally knew what she believed—the Renselaeus family and their allies saved the realm. Cetus and Cassiopeia Theren were jaded, prejudiced people who interpreted circumstances as they wanted and not how they actually were.

Iris never wanted to have anything to do with them again.

Which, as long as she stayed on Setazhia, maybe she wouldn't unless their assets somehow learned of her presence on the island. Though she was far from Remalna, Iris knew they probably had people on Setazhia. As long as no one learned her real name, everything would be fine. Or so she hoped.

Iris thought one record she read at the library was authored by someone from Tlanth, someone close to Meliara Astiar. It was the least formal account Iris could find, more honest and emotional. A diary of sorts, yet still provided details of every event...

Including how Meliara thought Vidanric was on Galdran's side until she learned differently.

Vidanric forgave Meliara, despite her dislike of him. Her very vocal dislike.

Meliara, in turn, forgave herself.

And today, they were happy. Married. Loved. Parents.

If only she could talk to Meliara; maybe Alaraec's mother could help Iris to forgive herself, too. It was not easy, but Iris was learning. It was like putting together the shattered pieces of a vase, or the destroyed scraps of a painting. Her heart and mind were mending, but it took one sliver at a time.

Upon finishing her errands, Iris returned to the library. Not because had to but because she wanted to. She wanted to memorize every part of it to tell Tobias, if she ever returned to Remalna, which felt more unlikely by the day. She was comfortable in Setazhia. Not has happy as she could be, perhaps, but...comfortable. Iris felt safe. There was comfort in being known but also maintaining a semblance of anonymity. She liked being Eliev.

But she missed home. Missed its food. Missed its language. Missed Bren and Enda.

Missed Alaraec.

How she missed Alaraec most of all.

She walked to Donric's office, not surprised to find him surrounded by books and scribbled parchment. He was muttering something under his breath, then shaking his head and running his fingers through his hair. It reminded Iris of Raec, and her heart twisted. As Donric was deep in thought, Iris tapped on the doorframe with her nails before saying his name.

Despite her care not to startle him, Donric jumped anyway. His blind eye was watery, and he rubbed at the scar with a hand. He kept that eye covered as he blinked at her, recognition flashing, and the older man relaxed. "Eliev."