T w e n t y - T w o

Violet wasn't exactly sure what taking a shot of vodka did to the body. What she did know was that she was feeling dizzy and her heart was pounding against her ribcage. Sal was nowhere to be found, not even the bathroom. She did, however, find Todd and his boyfriend Neil, who said that they'd last seen Sal standing in a corner by himself. But after searching every corner of the house, Violet was still wandering around without him. She was beginning to worry.

Fortunately, a familiar face stood out to her in the crowd. It was Chug. He seemed to be talking with Maple while eating from a family-sized bag of potato chips.

"CHUG! HEY!" Violet called to him, causing him to turn to her.

"Hey, Violet! Nice costume!"

"Have you seen Sally? I can't find him."

"Are you okay?" Maple asked. "You don't look well."

"Listen, Larry made me take a shot and I've never drank before. I've been looking for Sal for over an hour. I really need some help here." 

"We'll check outside," Chug told her.

"If we find him, we'll bring him to you."

Violet let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you guys so much. Please hurry."

Another hour went by. Chug and Maple never returned with Sal, meaning that they probably found a quiet spot to make out in the woods. Violet had no choice but to hunt down Larry and Ash again and ask for their help. The two of them stayed close to where the drinks were for the entirety of the party, making it easy to find them. 

"Little duuude," Larry drawled, waving a plastic cup at her, "how's the partayyy?"

"I can't find Sal," she said.

"Have you been looking for him this whole time?" Ash inquired, worry lacing her tone.

"Yes. I don't feel well and I'm worried about him."

"Go outside and take a breather. I'll find him."

"Promise?"

"Pinky promise. Go outside."

Violet did as she was told. She was really beginning to feel sick. Her head hurt from all the noise and she felt as though she'd throw up. The mixture of alcohol and overstimulation was making her lose her mind. Maybe she was looking for Sal earlier because she wanted to show him her costume and dance with him, but that wasn't the case anymore. She just wanted her friend. She was so confused and tired. It was a mystery to her how people partied like this multiple times in a week. She was sick and exhausted after only 2 hours.

Not knowing what else to do, Violet pulled out her phone and dialed Sal's phone number. 

Riiinnggg...

"Come on, Sally. Please."

Riiinnggg...

"Come on."

Riiinnggg...

"Pick it up, Sally."

Riii— "HELLO?"

"Sally! Where are you at?"

"I'M AT THE PARTY! WHERE ARE YOU?"

She huffed. "I've been looking for you for 2 hours! I was worried!"

"WHERE ARE YOU? I'LL COME FIND YOU!"

"I'm outside. I'm sitting on the steps."

"I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!"

"Bye, Sally."

"BYE!"

A wave of relief washed over Violet as she waited for Sal. All she had to do was sit there and try to calm down and then he'd be there. She stared out into the trees, shuttering at the thought of what could be lurking within them. Violet didn't like the woods, much less the woods at night. Too many horror stories about cults and murders and ghosts that take place in the woods. Given the mysteries of Nockfell, she could only imagine what secrets these woods held.