T w e n t y - F o u r

Violet sat on the floor of Larry's treehouse, joined by Todd, Neil, Sal, Chug, and of course, Larry. Ash unfortunately had to go home to look after her brother while their parents went out. Since everyone except Sal was intoxicated to some degree, the group decided on having a sleepover here. Everyone stopped at home first and grabbed some pillows and blankets as well as anything else they may have needed. Violet decided to change out of her costume as soon as she got home and put on some warm pajamas. The boys even hung up some of the lights from the party, giving their small space a warm glow.

The bitter night air snuck its way through every nook in the treehouse, causing everyone to snuggle into their blankets as they chatted. These moments were so innocent, so special. They may not have verbally expressed it, but the bright smiles and cheerful laughter of the teens was enough to prove that they were having the night of their lives.

"You should've seen her face!" Larry wheezed, referring to when Violet accepted her award for winning the costume contest. "Priceless!"

"You were as red as a beet," Neil told her.

"I was just nervous," she defended.

"You think?"

Sal reached toward the middle of the floor, where a pile of leftover snacks from the party laid, and grabbed a freezer bag full of pretzel sticks. "I told you not to worry, Vi."

"I can't help it." She reached into the bag and pulled out a few pretzel sticks, popping one into her mouth. "I've never accepted a huge bottle of liquor as an award in front of a crowd while dressed as a fairy."

"Guess I shoulda picked a better prize, huh?" Larry said.

"No, no, it's uh, great. I'll just pretend it's a trophy."

"Heh."

The others went on to have their own conversation about a game of beer pong, leaving Violet and Sal to enjoy their pretzels together. Violet was feeling a lot better without all of the noise at the party. Her headache had mostly subsided and her nausea was improving as she slowly continued snacking and drinking water. She let out a sleepy yawn as she reached into the pretzel bag again. 

"Hey, save some for the rest of us," Sal teased in a soft voice.

She giggled. "Stop it, Sally. I'm hungrier than you."

Sally. Something about hearing that word come from Violet's mouth felt so perfect. Sure, his other friends called him Sally every now and again, but it was usually followed by the word "face." Violet never called him Sally Face. If she did, it was because she was in a very playful mood. Otherwise, it was just Sally. He thought it was incredibly sweet. His heart leapt every time she said it.

"I bet you're more tired too," he told her. "Why don't we get your sleeping bag set up?"

She yawned again. "No way! I'm still hungry."

"Well then you keep eating and I'll do it."

"You don't have to, Sally. I can do it."

"Eat. I'll be right back."

Violet watched as the blue-haired boy headed toward the corner where her sleeping bag was folded up alongside her pillow and extra blankets. He carefully laid it out and unzipped it, pulling back the top so that she could get inside whenever she was ready. He then put her pillow down and smoothed her blankets out over her sleeping bag. She couldn't wait to crawl into the warmth of her new bed and fall asleep. 

Once Sal finished up with Violet's sleeping bag, he moved on to his own, which he set up just a few inches from hers. Some of their blankets even overlapped. Violet smiled at the site of it, already imagining the two laying beside each other and whispering amongst themselves until they fell asleep. She couldn't wait.