Chapter 40

When Teba returned hours after you had arrived at Rito Village, one of the first things you noticed was Link's absence. You had inquired about him, but when Teba turned to look at you, he barely uttered a word. The Rito looked tired: his eyes drooped as he rested against a wooden post to catch his breath before listening to your questions about Link.

"He's up there," was all Teba said before flying off to his hut, leaving you with words that brought no comfort. But, of course, you figured you wouldn't get anything else from the Rito, so you settled into your routine of waiting in partial worry.

The day's final hours passed by slowly enough, with barely anything catching your attention. In truth, you spent most of your time in the local inn lounging and drifting away in sleep before the sun rose again to lift the fog and lighten the skies.

You and Link often woke around the time the sun rose, and this custom caused you to wake naturally as strips of sunlight peeked through the drapes of the inn. The village was quiet as you changed and walked out of the hut to be welcomed by the calm Hebra winds. With not much to do, you crossed your arms and walked a few steps up, reaching the landing platform that had prompted a memory for Link.

The wind started to escalate, forcing you to keep a firm hold on the shawl that kept you warm as you glanced up at the sky. Vah Medoh circled high above, travelling slowly and with little noise. You wondered what went on inside. Link rarely divulged into the matter, and now you wished he had.

"Kheel, get back here!" A voice shouted, breaking your concentration on the mechanic beast and forcing your eyes away to see a little Rito kid fly past you at high speed.

Saki soon came running down the stairs and to the landing platform you stood on. Her feathers stood a bit as she let out a tired sigh. "That kid," she grumbled a bit quietly. She smoothed the feathers on her left wing as her eyes shifted toward you apologetically. "I'm sorry, (Y/n). I hope I didn't startle you."

"Oh no, you're alright," you shook your head before crossing your arms. "Who was that?"

"Kheel," Saki answered, knowing who you referred to. "My sister's babe. I'm taking care of him while she's away, but oh, he's a troubling one. Went off to find Kass."

"Ah...who's Kass?"

"You haven't heard of him?" Saki blinked, and she got her answer when you shrugged. "Well, he's a well-known Rito. He travels across Hyrule singing songs with his accordion. Quite lovely music, truthfully; he has a wonderful voice."

"Hmm, and he's coming to the village?"

"Aye, he has a performance tonight. Kheel's a big fan of his, and he's been looking forward to it," Saki smiled faintly before rubbing her beak. "Now I have to go after him. Normally I wouldn't mind him flying off, but with so many sightings of monsters going around, I'm worried he'll come across one."

You nodded and glanced in the direction Kheel had flown. "I'm sure it'll be easy to catch up to him," you replied as harrow winds blew. You folded your arms and found some heat for your hands beneath them.

"If I could fly, maybe. But I damaged my wing a few days ago; I won't trouble you with the story," Saki sighed as she rubbed the feathers of her sore wing. "I'll have to walk it. He can't have gotten too far."

"Hmm, I saw him fly over there." You pointed.

"Warbler's Nest lies that way. Kass tends to rest there before coming into the village, so it's no surprise he flew in that direction." Saki rubbed her beak and looked toward the stairs that led down with a light frown. "I'll dread the walk."

"Is it far?"

"No... but flying there would be much easier."

"Well, if you'd like, I can go after Kheel," you said.