Chapter 35

Author Note: The image above was sent to me by @Tokigame a few weeks ago (Chapter 20 when Link is riding with you, the reader) AND I LOVE IT 🥺 THANK YOU SO MUCH 🤍✨ Also, I just wanted to apologise for taking so long to write this chapter! (Nearly a month wow) But that being said, I hope you guys like this chapter!

•••

From a distance, Gerudo Town appeared small, a mere speck in the vast desert. But as Link and you traversed toward it with much more energy than before, you realised how magnificent and large the town actually was. Though its tall walls kept the inside of the town hidden from anyone's eyes, you were able to catch snippets of the beautiful place through the many arch entrances that were built. And just outside these entrances stood gorgeous Gerudo women, each with elegant stature as they guarded the archways that led into the town.

These women held a spear and a shield in their hands, and they eyed every traveller that neared. However, it was the larger archway—the main entrance of Gerudo Town—that was heavily guarded. The Gerudo guards that were placed at each side of the entrance had a stern look, and they'd scold or push back any male traveller that attempted to enter the town. Seeing this made a pit form in your stomach, but you reminded yourself that for this to work, Link and you had to appear calm. And in hopes of achieving a calm demeanour, you took the boy's hand and hummed quietly, avoiding eye contact with the women that were already eyeing you as you got closer to the town.

"They're staring (N/n)," Link whispered very quietly. He didn't want to portray his voice too much, for he feared that the Gerudo women would easily find out he was a male the minute they heard him speak. Of course, he could raise his voice and try to make himself sound feminine, but voice cracks would perhaps happen if he did so.

"Don't look at them. Just keep your eyes forward and try not to look suspicious," you whispered back. You then cleared your throat and gave Link's hand a gentle squeeze before stepping closer to the archway entrance. You could easily sense the Gerudo women's eyes on you, and when your attention flickered to one of them, you gulped. Their intense stare was one you had trouble with overlooking, and when a spear was held out to stop Link and you from entering the town, you mentally panicked.

"Halt," one of the guards said, her voice firm. This caused a terrible chill to run down your spine, but you took a deep breath, held your head high, and looked up at the tall women. The woman's eyes fixated on you, and she appeared to be deciphering your expression before glancing at Link, who was looking away. "Are you two Hylians?"

You gently nodded and pulled your veil down, allowing her to see your appearance fully. "Yes, we are both Hylian vai. Why do you ask?"

The guard hummed out, her stance loosening when you replied calmly, and with no type of hesitation. "Pardon, it's just...we rarely get Hylian visitors," she said, bringing her spear to the side. The women straightened her posture and looked down at Link and you. "I suspect this is your first time in Gerudo Town?"

"Yes, it is." You smiled softly, feeling Link's fingers intertwine with yours. Your lips were involuntarily pulled into a small grin when you felt him begin fiddling with your fingers.

"Well then, I hope you and your friend enjoy your time here," the Gerudo women bowed her head nicely and took a step to the side. "Since it's getting late, I advise you two to head to The Hotel Oasis. It's a lovely inn that offers an exclusive spa plan as well."

"Oh," you blinked and smiled as you lifted your veil over your nose once again. "We will, thank you." You bowed your head in return and once the lady looked away you walked through the archway with Link. The pit that was once in your stomach was now withering away, and when you were a few feet away from the main entrance, you let out a heavy sigh.