Chapter 24

•Polina•

I followed Sofka down the hall of the farmhouse, my shoulders heavy with the weight of Aleksandras disappointment. She'd never looked up to me like Sofka does, I didn't think she even liked anything about the Bratva. She had always been the one to rebel and go against anything our father was for so it took me by surprise to have her defending the Bratva.

The hardwood floor creaks under our feet as we walk, landscape paintings lining the walls on each side. What I had seen of the farmhouse so far was beautiful but it didn't compare to Enzo's home.

Sofka opens the door at the end of the hall and we step inside a dimly lit bedroom. The walls are painted a cream color, the four poster bed made of pale wood and decorated in floral print bedding lined with lace. A lamp with a rose colored shade sat on the bedside table, giving off enough light to see your way around the room but not enough to make out every detail of your surroundings. Aleksandra is seated in a floral print chair by the window with her knees tucked beneath her chin, her face pointed toward the moon. She reminded me so much of Sofka in that moment that I had to do a double take to be sure Sofka was still standing beside me. I've never seen Aleksandra look so forlorn, it made me question exactly how hard she had been taking the situation we are in.

Sofka shuts the door, giving us a little privacy although I found I didn't mind whether or not Enzo and Luca overheard the conversation we would have. They didn't stop me from going after my sister, they know my only intent is to comfort her.

"What's going on?" I ask Aleksandra as I approach her sullen form.

"What do you mean?" She replies monotonously. "I've been stuck in this same house for months. I'm living the dream."

I sigh, sitting on the arm of the chair beside her. "Look I understand this isn't the best situation we've ever been in—"

Her head jerks up, a glare dipping her brow. "Speak for yourself. You actually get to leave." She motions toward my body. "Look at you. You're all dressed up, obviously enjoying yourself with those two, you seem to be having the time of your life. All we've dealt with is Pietro for months, the man rarely talks and he doesn't even let us go outside!" She rants.

"I was chained to a wall in the basement of Enzo's house for months." Her eyes flick down to her lap at my response but I push forward. "I had to gain their trust before I could even step foot on the main floor. I had to abide by their rules before they gave me clothes. I've cried constantly, worried day and night about you two. I drove myself crazy thinking about where you were and how you were being treated. Things haven't been easy for me either."

Her anger shifts into sadness, her shoulders slumping. "I'm glad they've gotten better but why them? Was having sex with them one of their rules?

"No. They've never done anything to me that I haven't wanted." I assure her.

She goes silent for a moment, contemplating my words. "The way the three of you act you seem way too close. It's more than just sex, isn't it?"

My fingers absently trace the floral pattern on the old chair and my gaze goes to the view out the window. The house is surrounded by trees on one side and an open field on the other. The moon hangs high in the sky, the stars bright and visible due to us being so far out of the city away from any light pollution.

"It's complicated." I whisper, suddenly glad Sofka had shut the door.

I wasn't sure how Enzo or Luca were feeling. What we were doing could be nothing but sex to them. I'm not ready to be vulnerable and open about how I'm feeling. I worry that the emotions blooming deep within my soul for those two men are one sided.