Chapter 45

•Luca•

"She's not ready yet." Ilya grunts as he opens the front door of Polina's house.

Enzo steps over the threshold bumping Ilya's bulky body as he forces his way inside, ignoring the man who's at least twice his size. But size has never been an intimidating factor for Enzo. His size was constantly compared to his brothers who are broader than him, it never made him less feared so he doesn't bother fearing those who are larger than him.

Ilya lets out an annoyed huff and steps out of the way so I can enter the house. Although it's only been four weeks of having us around I think he's grown used to Enzo's antics, whether he likes them or not.

I was weary of Ilya at first. I didn't trust him around Polina after she informed us of their first meeting but he's shown her nothing but respect around us so his presence isn't as bad anymore. I know Polina can take care of herself. She's strong and smart and can read people very easily but knowing he's there to protect her is reassuring because as much as Enzo and I would like to constantly be with her that just isn't possible so it's nice to have someone else in the line of defense.

Sofia exits her room as we step into the hall and gives us a timid smile. Although we've both shown her nothing but respect, being kidnapped skewed her view of us probably for life so she tends to keep her distance. She has gotten close to Alessia during the few dinners she's attended with us, she looks up to her just as she does Polina.

"I'll let her know you're here." Sofia says before turning on her heel and heading toward Polina's room.

Enzo doesn't bother waiting, he continues down the hall behind her and I follow along.

Sofia gives Polina's door a knock and calls out to her in Russian, our names mixed into the language. Polina says something back and a few seconds later she opens the door. We've seen each other every day for the last four weeks and still each time the sight of her stuns me. It's hard to believe someone so loving could look at the both of us and love us equally. She's been with us separately when the other has been busy and not once have either of us felt jealousy over it because she always lets it be known that she wishes we were there so we could all be together. It feels right, we feel complete and it's never something either of us thought was a possibility. We have shared others but nothing like this.

I've loved Enzo a long time, my love for him only growing the older we got but adding her into our relationship makes even the love between him and I feel magnified. It's more than I could ever want. I've never felt so happy and I know he feels it's too. He seems so much more relaxed and content.

Her eyes light up as soon as she spots Enzo and I and Sofia excuses herself, stepping around us and walking back down the hall until she's out of sight.

The last four weeks we've fallen into a routine. We alternate between staying here at her house and at Enzo's so Sofia doesn't go for long periods of time without her guardian. To say everyone in the family and the Bratva are okay with our relationship would be a lie. The Russians and Italians had been enemies for so long we didn't expect everyone to take to our relationship. That wouldn't be practical. They know better than to ever step against us because they'd not only face Enzo's wrath but Nikolays as well. As long as they stick to their duties we don't care.

I pull Polina into a hug, the smell of her spicy perfume filling my nose as I bring my lips to hers, greeting her with a soft kiss. Although it's only been a few hours since I last saw her I need to taste her, feel her against me. Her nails drag against my back through the cotton of my shirt as her mouth moves in sync with mine. She tastes like mint toothpaste and something else that's just purely her. Her fingers tangle themselves in my hair, pulling me closer and sucking my lower lip into her mouth as if she's just as hungry for me as I am for her.