Chapter 2 - Dance with the devil

D

The building is old. Not old enough to be historic, just old enough to look outdated. But it's well kept and they say Irina is the best at what she does.

I make my way upstairs and find the right room. Hopefully, I won't run into anyone who knows me. I don't want to answer any questions about what I'm about to do.

The room is large, with mirrors on one wall. I roll my eyes. Is that really necessary? I remove my jacket and hang it on a peg next to the door. There are already a few other people there. I stand back and observe.

There's an elderly couple. They look at each other the way my grandparents used to. My mother's parents. My father's parents were divorced before I was even born.

But I recognize the lifelong love when I see it and it cuts my heart to think of my grandmother all alone now that grandpa is dead.

A young couple come in, mid to late twenties perhaps. The woman is dragging the man inside and looking around as if she's about to enter battle. The man is smiling at her back. She relaxes a bit.

"We're not late."

"I told you we wouldn't be." The man is tall and lanky, with a simple t-shirt and jeans. The woman is wearing a very nice dress and an enormous diamond on her left ring finger.

A woman in a tight red dress that shows off her soft curves comes in after them. She yelps and jumps when the man she is with slaps her ass. But she doesn't scold him. He grins as he scoops her up from behind and kisses her neck.

Three couples. I was promised this would work out. So I wait patiently as a young blonde woman walks in. She scans the room and notices me standing all alone. I can see the exact moment she decides I'm her prey.

Her steps are sure and strong as she takes aim for me.

"Are you here for the dance class?" She asks with a smile and a slight tilt of her head.

"Yes," I say.

"Alone?"

I nod.

She broadens her smile and looks relieved. "Me too. I was so worried there would be no single men here. But it looks like this will work out just fine."

Three more people enter. The first one is the instructor. I looked her up online and recognize her from the photo. She is wearing a flowy skirt and walks with grace.

My eyes widen as I watch library-girl enter behind her. She's wearing a baggy t-shirt and another pair of leggings. This pair shows off her legs just as well as the ones she wore the other day. What is she doing here? Did she follow me? I take a step forward to talk to her, but the woman at my side puts a hand on my arm.

"I'm Stacey, by the way."

I stop. Library girl scans the room and the look on her face as she spots me almost makes me smile. She seems as surprised as I am. So not a stalker then. Probably.

"What's your name?" the woman next to me asks.

"Dylan," I say.

The instructor chooses that moment to get everyone's attention and I look away from library-girl. I'll have to make sure I talk to her after class.

Being good at hockey does not translate to being good at dancing. More than once, I step on my partner's feet, and she makes a joke about needing steel-toed boots. I don't laugh. I thought this would be easy. You just learn the steps and do them.

I've seen people dance before. Hell, I've probably watched more ballroom dance competitions than all the other students at UNI put together. But it never looked this hard.