chapter two. deb ball

Daphne sits between Malia and Belly at the dinner table as she picks at her bread roll

"Steven I swear to God, if you look at that screen one more time I'm putting it in the phone basket," Laurel speaks up and Daphne snickers between the two girls before turning over to Belly who has a smile on her face.

"We just wanna see your faces," Natasha adds, pinching James' cheek, making him smile and put his phone on the table.

"Steven," Jeremiah speaks up but Steven's eyes remain glued to his phone, in a swift move he grabs the boy's phone and throws it in the phone basket, making Ash clap. "Ten out of ten," she smiles for the first time since they got here.

"Seriously dude?" Steven asks and from across them, while Daphne rests her head back, her foot kicking Jeremiah's under the table. "Ow, I'm sorry," he laughs making the group turn to Daphne who holds up her hands in some sort of surrender.

"Oh shit, Conrad, when are we seeing you at some games again? I miss kicking your arse on the field," James speaks up, leaning over to grab Daphne's juice.

"He quit football, actually," Jeremiah says making Daphne kick him again but this time he just leans over to touch his knee.

"If you're not gonna play, what are you doing all summer?" Malia reaches over, picking up her juice and taking a sip as she faces him.

"You can work at the country club with me and the guys," Steven speaks up, seeming too excited about talking a summer job.

"I'd rather yeet myself off a cliff. I think I'll just hang out with the girls this summer," Conrad explains, looking over at Malia who looks away hastily, her eyes meeting Jeremiah's before she looks away again, smiling when she makes eye contact with Ash who slaps a hand over her mouth, resting her head on the table.

"But don't worry girls, I have something fun for you to do too. Nat and I picked it up when we were in the club," Susannah picks up four envelopes from the drawer next to the table, handing each to one of the girls. "A deb ball? No thanks, I'd rather yeet myself off a cliff," Ash tosses the envelope back onto the desk making Jeremiah laugh. "She only has one thing on her mind this summer, our lovely Jesper," he turns to her and she kicks him under the table.

"What about you, girls?" She suggests, turning to the three girls across the table. "Deb balls aren't my thing," Daphne reaches over, picking up Belly's glass of juice and the other girl doesn't even flinch at the action, she simply smiles at Daphne.

"Mal?" Natasha turns to the girl at the end of the table, sitting right between Conrad and Daphne. "I'd love to, I've always wanted to wear a puffy dress and step on some lucky guy's toes as we dance," she smiles, playing with her fork, the one she literally fought Steven for. "I could be the lucky guy, if you wanted," Jeremiah suggests, a smile coming onto his face.

"Sure, I'd like that," Malia smiles, turning to Belly as everyone's eyes follow but Daphne still notices Malia sneaking a small glance back at Conrad. "I was about to say no but I wouldn't want Mal to do it alone so yeah," she leans forward, smiling at Malia who returns the smile fondly.

"Mal and Jere sound like such a cute pairing, don't you guys think?" Ash raises her head, looking over at Conrad, a devious smirk playing at her lips as her eyes move back to Belly. "Belly, I could take you if you wanted to," James speaks up and Belly nearly chokes on her drink. "Uh, sure. That sounds like a plan," She responds as they hear the doorbell ring from afar, Ash is the first to rush to her feet. "Bye guys," she calls when she's half way out the door.

"I'm gonna get ready for the party," James starts getting up as Jeremiah and Steven follow behind. "I smell an orgy," Daphne whispers under her breath as Belly bursts into a fit of laughter making everyone turn to her.

"I'm gonna get ready too," Daphne adds, slowly getting up and patting Belly's shoulder before she starts walking away. "And I'm gonna have a swim," Malia adds before walking after her as Belly and Conrad's eyes follow behind the two.