chapter eighteen. not waiting

Daphne lays next to Conrad on the grass as they talk about life when Malia runs past, laughing as James sprays her with water

They seem to catch Conrad's attention because he starts getting up. Daphne groans, knowing he's about to ditch her.

"I have to go!" Conrad runs after them and Daphne boos them.

"What's up with him and Mal?" Jesper falls next to her as she faces him, "I don't know, if you're here, where's your worse half?" Before her words can grow cold Ash runs past with a water balloon, she throws it at Daphne who laughs, her dress getting soaked.

"Ash!" She shouts, water dripping down her chest as she feels around her body for her phone when she remembers she left it in the jeep. "Thank God." She finds religion..

She walks past the three very high moms who stop her on the way. "What happened to you?" Laurel asks when Daphne sits on her mom's lap like a toddler. "Her demon daughter like thing." The moms laugh and tell her to go change.

"Mom, can you make porridge tomorrow." Daphne bats her eyes and the woman laughs. "Oh my sweet little baby, of course I'll do it for you if you behave." Natasha smiles as Daphne salutes her.

"Watch Ash cry tears of joy when she finds out." She says as she heads upstairs gets changed into a hoodie and shorts. She doesn't even put shoes on when she goes back out and the moms are gone.

She decides a part of being on her best behaviour is taking care of things so she starts cleaning up, watching the others play with water guns and balloons.

When Jesper turns her way she gives him a strict look and he decides against it before throwing the balloon on Conrad's head. Daphne can't help but laugh before getting her phone from the jeep, playing with the little plush dolphin that hung around the rear view mirror.

When Daphne walks back to the house, she sits down on her mom's seat which she can tell was hers because of the paint on it, she takes in a deep breath, resting her head back, she wrapped the sleeves of her mum's cardigan around herself. She felt sea sick as she kicked over the painting Natasha and Susannah must've done. It was awful.

"You're back." A chirp voice says when Daphne shuts her eyes. She opens them again. "Yeah, Con and I were at the beach." Daphne tries to keep her explanation short.

"What's up with Laurel and the moms?" Daphne asked as she and Belly went back to picking things up.

"Oh, they're stoned but they're good." Belly says, looking disappointed as Daphne throws the empty cans in the trash.

"That's nice, I like seeing them like that; giddy and all that." She sits back down, crossing her legs as she pulls her phone from her hoodie pocket, leaving it open on her lap.

"I broke up with Cam." Belly catches Daphne's attention.

"Aw, I'm gonna miss seeing Cam Cameron around here. I hope he still hangs out." Daphne pulled her knee up, she felt weird, she didn't know what to do or say.

"Why'd you dump him? He seemed like a nice guy." She rested her head on her knee.

"Last night, you and I almost kissed." Daphne furrowed her brows like the memory slipped her mind.

"Did we? I was pretty wasted, I can still taste beer in my mouth." She laughs.

"Are you serious?" Belly asked and Daphne looked away, watching everyone laugh and run around.

"I don't know what do you want me to say? I'm sorry?" She forced herself to look back at Belly.

"Are you sorry?" Belly frowned.

"I don't know, I don't—" Daphne cuts herself off, taking in a deep breath. "Belly, I care about you. You know I do," Daphne played with the sleeves of the cardigan.

"I just can't." She sighed.

There was a long pause before Belly spoke.

"I'm not waiting for you anymore." She walked away and Daphne didn't even look at her as she went back to cleaning.

When Daphne finally gets home after spending the day at the beach alone she finds Conrad at the stairs with their moms.

"They've just had long days." He helps her mom up as she nods, wiping her hand over her face.

"No falling tonight." Daphne looked over at Conrad as she helped Susannah up, she looked over at Conrad as they went up the stairs, slowly to risk dropping the women.

"You guys have a good day?" Conrad asks as they approach their rooms. "The best." The two moms say and Daphne helps Susannah into her room.

"Oh, sweetie, you look so pretty today in your summer dress." Susannah has a hand on Daphne's cheek as the girl helps her to bed. Daphne smiles.

"I always liked your mom in a summer dress." Susannah closed her eyes and Daphne covered her with a blanket. "I've never ever seen her in a skirt." She smiled, brushing the hair away from Susannah's forehead in the same way the moms would do to her when she was little.

"She's grown up but she's still our Nat." Susannah smiled, eyes still closed.

"Goodnight Susannah." She hugs the woman, placing a small kiss on her forehead and when she heads out of the room.

She finds Conrad outside her room. "Reality sure loves to bite us in the ass." He looked down at her and she pulled him into her.

"We'll be okay."