chapter nineteen. super cheesy

Daphne starts her day off with James' middle finger in her face

Daphne starts her day off with James' middle finger in her face. "Why are you like this?" She pushes him away and finds Malia and Conrad next to her. They were as annoying as ever.

"We're going surfing." Malia and Conrad pull her to her feet. She groans but let's them. She goes into the bathroom first, taking a shower and getting ready.

When they get out they get their boards and hit the waves, James nearly drowns and Daphne laughs at him before they all eventually decide to call it a day or a morning because they have to come back later.

"I still have sand in my mouth." Malia spits on the ground as Conrad pats her back. "I have sand in places sand shouldn't be." James groans and Daphne cringes at the thought.

When they walked back to the house, they found their mums sitting on beach chairs, knitting on when they saw the group of teens. "Daphne!" Natasha called as she and Susannah looked over at her. "Are they high again?" Malia shoved James as Daphne ran to the mums.

"I have to go shower, I'm so cold." She was shaking when her mom patted the empty spot next to her and Daphne took it. She crawled into the woman's side for warmth.

"We've been talking and we want you to take Belly to the deb ball." Susannah was giddy at the idea and Daphne went still, her thumb nail moving between her teeth.

"I can't." She answered after a moment. "Just ask Jeremiah or Conrad or even Ash. There are so many options." Daphne tried to play her saying she couldn't off with a smile.

"Honey, you know how much it'll mean to her if it was you." Natasha stroked her hand over Daphne's full head of black hair. "You're her Sleeping Beauty and we all know it." Susannah said and as of on cue, Daphne yawned.

"That proves nothing." She was tired after spending the night playing Scrabble with Conrad and now all the surfing. "And if you go, both your dads will be there." Natasha added as Daphne bit back a smile.

"First time for everything." She retorts, head on her mum's shoulder. "Come on, Daph, we just want her to have the perfect time." Susannah tickled the bottom of her feet and she laughed.

"I'll think about it." Daphne got up and when she walked away there was a loose strand of black hair strung onto her wetsuit.

When the annual volley ball competition was coming closer by the minutes, Daphne found Belly in the kitchen making herself a workout shake. "You excited about the tournament? I'm putting good money on you today." She leaned over on the counter and Belly smiled.

"I'm ready."

"Well, if you stay ready, you don't have to get ready." Belly laughed at that. "I weirdly get that."

"God, that was super cheesy." Daphne covered her face in embarrassment. "I think I've heard that on a car commercial once." She heard Belly say and she scoffed.

"Okay, you try coming up with something completely original." Belly frowned and Daphna made an aha sound like she won whatever game they were playing.

"Everything is a knock off of something." Belly shrugged and Daphne picked up an apple. The last time she picked up an apple things didn't go that well for her so she put it back down.

"Bells." She said and the girl looked up from her pre workout. "I'm sorry about being cheesy and an asshole and everything in between." She let out all at once.

"I remember everything." She took in a sharp breath.

"I don't know what to say." Belly tried to look away but she couldn't, her eyes darted back to Daphne's.

"I know, I've been very confusing with wanting my cake and wanting to eat it. Trust me I'm confusing myself too." Daphne wanted to slap herself for not getting to the point.

"But the thing is, can I take you to the ball?" She build up all her courage and put all the words out there. Belly looked at her in confusion.

"What?"

"I know all the danced and I clean up nice in a pretty tux so it's no problem." I asked too late, I screwed up too much the words rang through head, she felt like she was out of her league.

"I'll think about it." Belly says and in a distant they heard the doorbell ring and Belly ran to get it.