17

To say that Saleaah was starstrucked by Quil was an understatement

To say that Saleaah was starstrucked by Quil was an understatement. The way that he slowly tried making his way back into her life made her feel, dare say, happy. After their kiss, he apologized for moving to fast, and promised he would take it slow from that point forward.

Although she was thankful for that, a part of her wished that he would do it again.

"Shia!" Jos called as he squeezed her cheeks together. "Hm?" She hummed making eye contact with her long term friend. "You were zoned out for a while. What's going on?" He asked as they stopped at the girl's locker so they could finally leave the school.

"Nothing, just thinking." She told him as she started to open her locker, just as Mateo walked up to them. "Hey Teo." Shia grinned at the male who showed a close lipped smile. She could feel the distress and fear that rolled off him in strong waves, it made her feel uncomfortable.

"Teo!" Jos cheered as he hung onto the boy's shoulders. The grin slipped off Saleaah's face as she shoved her books into her locker and faced her two best friends.

"What's wrong?" She asked the redhead as he diverted his eyes from the girl and shifted uncomfortably. "Let's go talk outside." Jos consoled him as a frown replaced his normal smile.

"Guys, it's nothing." He mumbled as he was basically forced outside by how two friends. "Just how different bruises that pop up on you every other day is nothing?" Shia asked him once they were at the back of the school where most people did not go.

"Shia-" 

"What?"

Jos started just as Mateo stated an airy question.

"Jos, we have been quiet for way too long. I can't take it anymore." Shia told him as Mateo shifted his eyes to the ground. "We shouldn't get into it..he's already going through enough." Jos told her sternly as she shook her head.

"This is our issue now. He's our friend, we can't be bystanders when we can try something. I can't watch him die slowly as we look past it." Saleaah raised her voice as it became shaky from holding back her tears.

Jos closed his mouth tightly and she could feel the guilt, hurt, and even relief  flowing from the boys in front of her. "I'm sorry, Teo. I can't watch you die." She stared at him as tears filled her eyes.

Mateo stepped closer to her and placed a hand on her head and looked at both of his safe havens. A small sad smile was placed on his face as he pulled Jos close to them as well. "You guys are two of the only people who make life worth living." Mateo told them before pulling them into a group hug.

                                                   ***
Saleaah couldn't believe her ears, even though she suspected that outcome. Mateo, their Mateo, was being abused by his father. His mother was somewhere in Oregon, but his older brother went to Washington State. No matter how much she wanted him around, he would probably have to move away...if she told anyone.

Shia was confused what to do. Mateo begged them not to tell anyone because he didn't want to go into the system...again. His mother used to be addicted to drugs, which is how his father gained custody over him. Shia didn't want to hurt Mateo, but she didn't want his father to kill him either.

"Poc? Baby, what's wrong?" Sue asked seeing her youngest teen standing frozen on the porch in shock. Sue quickly placed the kitchen towel on the small table near the door and placed her hands on the side of Saleaah's neck. "Talk to me sweetheart." She gently told the prophet as worry was obvious on her face.

"I don't know what to do.." Shia whispered as tears quickly began to roll down her face. Sue quickly pulled her youngest daughter into her arms holding her tightly as she sobbed into her shoulder. It pained Sue to see her daughter in a continuous state of sadness, she just wish the small girl could catch a break.

"I don't know what to do, mom." Another round of sobs escaped the Clearwater's mouth as rain gently began to fall.

"Mom? Shia? What's going on?" Seth asked as he quickly got under the porch to protect himself from the rain, Quil hot on his feet looking like he wanted nothing more than to comfort his imprint.

"I don't know, Seth. I don't know." The mother of three responded as she looked up at the two shapeshifters before ushering the youngest into the house swiftly.