Alina

"Alina. Alina. Alina wake up!" I hear a voice yell. I try to move but my body won't let me.

"I can't, it hurts too much," I whine into the pillow.

"I know, darling. But you have to wake up before Master comes down," I shoot up at that. "You know what happens if you don't." She says sternly.

Punishment, that's what. I've already gotten enough for this week. I'm turning four soon and everyone says that big girls can take it.

I'm just weak.

I rush out of bed, ignoring the pain, and wait with my head down, fingers intertwined. Anastasia, my caretaker, does the same next to me.

We hear heavy footsteps coming down the stairs.

He's coming.

The basement door swings open, revealing the one and only, Dmitri Ivanov, my big brother. His large figure steps through the threshold and he stares down at me. I only see his black leather dress shoes, but I feel his burning gaze. With a snap of his fingers, he dismisses Anastasia.

"Good morning Alina." He says.

"Good morning, Sir." I don't understand why I have to call him that. He's literally my brother. I know other kids my age call their siblings by their names. Or at least that's what happens in books, I've never met somebody else my age.

Last time I called him Dmitri, he beat me really badly for "disrespecting" him and I wasn't fed for days. That stunk.

I feel a sting in my cheek, he slapped me.

"Did you hear what I said?"
I freeze, shoot. I dozed off again.

"No sir," I mumble. I still haven't met his eyes, it's another sign of disrespect.

I don't deserve to look him in the eyes.

After a moment of silence, he sighs.

"Alina, I've been very generous with you. I feed you, clothe you, put a roof over your head."

I think you mean barely feed me, but the rest is true I suppose.

"The least you could do is pay attention to me," I nod. "Alexei is returning later today."
My heart drops, and I feel my eyes begin to tear up.

I must not cry. I must not cry.

Alexei Ivanov; my eldest brother. If Dmitri is mean, Alexei is downright evil. He enjoys punishing me, even if I didn't do anything wrong! Even if I pass out, he'll splash me with cold water and continue. Dmitri just stands there, refusing to participate most of the time. Alexei calls him a "pussy", whatever that means.

Whenever Alexei is here, all I know is pain. I wish his trips lasted longer.

I wish for a lot of things actually.
I wish my brothers liked me. I wish they'd protect me, kiss me, hug me, and read me stories before I went to sleep. But they just don't. They never have. They say I don't deserve it.

"Alina," he bends down to my height and lifts up my chin so I'm looking at him in the eyes. I whimper at his grip, that's gonna leave a mark, "I don't care how old you are, you are an Ivanov and will be treated as such. Don't fight us, it will only end badly for you," I nod my head.
*Slap

"Words."

"Yes sir." With that, he leaves and I start to cry. Why me?