Alina

At first, the idea of a different family felt entirely impossible, but it was if it was a key to unlock many hidden memories.
I have a mommy and a daddy.
I have five brothers and cousins.
I have an aunt and uncle.
I have grandparents and friends.
I had a life outside my room, and I want it back so bad.

But am I doing the wrong thing by leaving? Anna has assured me it's for the better, but I think I'm going to miss Lexi and Dede.
I never told anyone this, but I like Lexi more, he's a lot nicer.

———

"Alina!" Alexei and Dmitri shout as they burst through my door, nearly knocking it off its hinges.

"What's going on!" Anna asks but a look from Alexei answers her question.

"We're going on a little trip, ангел," he says, picking me up from my bed and running for the door.

I'M SO EXCITED!

"Keep your eyes closed, цветок. Don't open them until we say it's alright."

"What about Anna?"

"That nasty lady can't come with us."

But she promised she'd always be with me.

"I'm scared," I whimper.

I bounce in Lexi's arms as he runs, subconsciously taking in and savoring his scent and the warmth that has brought me comfort over these past few months.

"Alina!" A man's voice screams and my brother stops in his tracks.

It's unfamiliar yet familiar at the same time. He doesn't have a Russian accent, and though I can't see him, I know the owner.

"Sandy?" I whisper.

I struggle to, but I manage to turn my head to look at his face.

Our eyes meet and I think I see tears in his.

"Drop her," another voice orders.

I don't know who the man is. He doesn't speak Russian and has a strong accent I've never heard before. I assume he's with Sandy.

Both men have shiny black objects pointed at my brothers.

The same thing is then placed to my temple and I hear a click. Dmitri is the one holding it.

"Move out of my way, Lombardi. I will sh—"

I fall to the ground.

"Run Alina!" Anastasia.

Without hesitation, I take off running down the hall in front of me.

"Run straight," Anna had instructed me earlier.

I soon get tired after not being able to run, much less walk for weeks.

I can't do this.

I hear footsteps getting closer and closer. I don't know if it's Sandy or Lexi, so I dive into a room. All the furniture is covered by dusty white cloth and everything is illuminated by a bright white circle, the moon. I haven't seen the sky in so long.