Chapter 10: Out of Control

Having Clark here, as a teacher at my school, wasn't too bad. He was quite popular amongst the students and everyone loved and respected him.

            "Wow, I can't believe your brother is a teacher here now" said Rüya.

            "Yeah."

            "And he's not only a journalism teacher but he's also the head of The Torch. I'm assuming you guys are going to be the dynamic duo."

            "Maybe" I sighed. "Anything on this whole Derek Reynolds thing?"

            "No, nothing. The guy acts as if he's untouchable."

            "But we know that no one, regardless of how rich or poor they may be, or how privileged or not they might be, is untouchable."

            "I agree but I keep coming up with almost nothing."

            "Rüya, do you think it's even worth going after him? We got into a fight the other day and my brother lost his marbles for like a nanosecond" I said, leaving out the part about him getting enraged to the point that his eyes began to glow a scary red.

            "Look, that punk has bullied Ozan repeatedly in the past and he always slipped through the cracks and this time, I'm not going to let him!"

            "Rüya, think clearly for a moment. He threatened me by threatening you. I know he's a bully but that guy is ruthless and I don't want you to get hurt."

            "And since when are you so concerned about me or my safety?" she tossed it in my face and I did not have to ask why. "First of all, you broke up with me...which means you have no right to tell me what I can or cannot do!"

            "I'm just looking out for you!"

            "I don't need you to look out for me. You lost that right when you broke up with me! And you know I don't back off that easily when I see a story that needs to be told."

            "Fine" I sighed. "I won't tell you what to do or much less, give you advice!"

            "Good" she got up and left, no doubt to pursue more leads.

            Then again, Rüya was the type to never let others sway her in a different direction. Once she made up her mind about a matter, in particular, she went through with it. She has always been the more outspoken one and was not afraid to give anyone a piece of her mind.

            Sitting in the office, I heard someone clearing their throat. It was Clark and no doubt, he had heard the whole conversation, which was brief but quite to the point.

            "You overheard all of that, didn't you?"

            "Yes" he walked in. "Are you okay?"

            "Yeah, I will...at some point."

            "What happened between you two?"

            "Nothing" I decided I did not want to talk about it but knowing my brother and his occasional persuasiveness, I had a feeling he was going to do so.

            "Talk to me."

            "We broke up, what's there to say?"

            "Don't you mean, you broke up with her?"

            "Well, yeah...technically."

            "Look, losing Ozan should have brought you two closer but..."