23

"this isn't what it looks like, i swear!" i tell the man who's still staring at kit and i with wide eyes.

"it's okay, eileen." he tells me, "i won't tell anybody that you two are dating. i understand that even celebrities need privacy."

i don't say anything. i appreciate his kindness. truly. it doesn't feel right to correct him.

"but if you're trying to keep your relationship a secret, maybe don't make out in public places like this." he tells us with a laugh as kit stands up from the floor after he finished picking up all the books.

"we're very sorry, sir." kit tells him.

"just call me cain. that's my name, after all." the man- cain tells us. "and i promise you it's okay. i won't tell anyone."

"thank you." kit and i say at the same time.

the little girl stares at me, "are you two married?"

"what?" kit says with a chuckle, "no. no, no, no, no, no. we're not together. we're just friends."

"i thought that people only kiss each other when they're married." the girl says, "like my mom and dad."

"we weren't kissing." i say. "i just fell."

"let's change the topic, kiddo." cain tells his daughter, casting her hair back behind her ears. "i think we should just ignore everything we just saw, alright?"

"okay, dad." she replies, fixing her hair to the way she likes it.

"so," cain looks at kit and i, "is there any way i can get a picture with both of you two? or a signature?"

kit and i nod at the same time. "thank you!" cain cheers, "both of you!"

cain pulls him phone out of his pocket and clicks the camera app before holding it in-front of the four of us. kit give a small and warm smile and i do the same. cain also has a grin on his face, but its different than the one that kit and i wear. he's smiling more excitedly while we're smiling in a more professional way.

"thank you, eileen stone." cain says, grabbing my hand.

"oh please, you can just call me eileen." i tell him.

"okay, eileen. well, thank you." he gives me another smile, "also, i'm very excited for the new album that's coming out today."

oh fuck. i completely forgot about that. i'm supposed to be recording vocals and doing the songs' finishing touches.

yes, i was supposed to have everything ready like two weeks ago. but i'm always behind on my schedule. thank god for my manager. without her, my career would be in the dumpster by now.

speaking of which, i'm sure i have over a hundred missed calls from her.

i can't exactly check my phone right now, though. it's practically the number one rule of talking to fans. never go on your phone while holding a conversation with them.

"i'm excited to release it to you." i respond, hoping my acting is as good as my singing so cain can't tell that i'm freaking out inside.

"i'll let you go, now." cain says, picking his daughter up and holding her on his hip. "it was great to meet you."

with that, they leave.

☆ ★ ☆