Chapter 3- Part 7 Twins Ability Development Institute - Kirigiri Kyōko

Hoshī's voice sent Tsutsumi and Kirigiri out of the surveillance room.

The two came out of the research building, crossed the gravel road, and came to the parking lot. The place doesn't even have decent night lights, and they had to rely on the mobile phone's backlight. The remote control key wasn't working, and the car had to be found in the dark, probably because this area of the Research Institute is affected by the shielding.

"Found it." Tsutsumi finally found his car and opened the door. "The shielding coverage seems to be quite wide... Come on, get in the car."

Tsutsumi got into the driver's seat. Kirigiri sat in the back seat.

"I'm handing over the cell phone to you. You look at the signal and call the police once you can get through."

Tsutsumi handed the phone to Kirigiri behind him, fastened his seat belt, and screwed in the key.

The headlights of the car lit up in the dark forest.

"May I ask something."

"What's up?" Tsutsumi replied, he didn't look back.

"I'd like to know something about the events leading up to the incident. Who was the first person to come to this institute?"

"It's Hoshī, she said it herself. She said she came by taxi. After that, Nagate-san and Hachisuka-san, I was the last one. I drove here."

Tsutsumi stepped on the accelerator.

In the deadly silence where all life seems to be completely extinct, the sound of the car engine and tires running over sand and gravel is echoing across the night sky. Thick dark clouds covering it, and no star in sight.

"What does this have to do with the incident?" "Hard to say."

"Hey hey, you're so perfunctory... I've been wondering for a long time, but are you really a detective?"

"This matter is irrelevant."

"Good grief." Tsutsumi shrugged exaggeratedly, letting Kirigiri in the back seat see. "You're a little kid, so I won't bother with you, but you better fix that snobby attitude of yours. You can't complain about being mistaken for a criminal, even if it's only because of a misunderstanding. By the way, shouldn't detectives value the relationship of trust with their clients as a priority?"

"You are not the client."

"Oh, I see."

"How were the twins experiments conducted?"

"As I said earlier, all were done in accordance with the instructions of the person who is claiming to be Ashvins, with the purpose of conducting 'The Corsican Brothers' experiment. As you know, it's impossible to say that this experiment does not involve ethical issues. , So– the research team leader is anonymous, the Research Institute is located in the mountains, the pay is very generous, all kinds of suspicious things can be explained by the reason of 'this is a secret experiment'. But, come to think of it, this deal was too good to be true."

"Why were you selected to be one of the researchers?"

"Who knows, maybe they just picked a few of those who seem to be short on money among people who are studying topics like that. But, even though I'm just an insignificant researcher, Hachisuka-san is well known in the field of twin research. To be honest, I even thought at first that the name Ashvins was the pseudonym used by Hachisuka-san when he was conducting that kind of shady experiments."

The headlights illuminate the winding road downhill. The night road is very cold with no street lights and no oncoming traffic.

"So today, at noon on January 11th, you started the experiment when everyone gathered?"