Chapter IV

This is a sad chapter, but it was needed to move the story along

This is a sad chapter, but it was needed to move the story along. I'm sorry. Grab some tissues and hop on along for the ride.

103 AC

After all the guests arrived, the welcoming feast was held, to start the celebrations for Qoren's upcoming marriage to Valena Blackmont. They dined for hours, and the dining eventually turned into dancing.

Adrian watched his children as they danced. Aurelia was dancing with the youngest son of the late Lord Yronwood, while Morgan was partnered with Liane Dayne, the Lord of Starfall's daughter and Aurelia's companion. Qoren was dancing with his future wife and seemed happy enough.

Adrian and Ilaria sat beside one another at the high table, entertaining the lords and ladies who would come pay their respects and inquire about the younger children of the Princess, testing the waters for future betrothals.

When they were alone, Adrian looked to his wife. She was watching their children intently. "Do you wish to dance, my lady?"

She gave him an easy smile. "No Adrian, do not worry, I am content to sit beside you."

He slipped a hand in hers and squeezed. "Is all well? I heard that you were with Maester Foster for several hours."

For a moment, her eyes went bright with unshed tears. She forced a neutral expression. "We shall speak on it in the morning, I promise. Tonight, let us enjoy the feast."

So they did, though he could not stop his mind from worry.

When they made love that night, there was a fierceness to her movements to which he was unaccustomed. She had kissed and touched him as though she never would again. When they curled together to sleep, he could feel her shuddering tears.

"Please, Lari," he whispered, urgent. "What is wrong? I cannot sleep knowing that something is troubling you."

After long silent moments, she stirred. She turned in his arms and ran her delicate fingers through his beard. "I love you Adrian," she whispered, trembling, "and I do not want to hurt you."

He pressed a kiss to her lips, tender. "Knowing you are in pain and cannot tell me why hurts. What did Foster tell you?"

"I will tell you after the celebrations have ended," she promised. "I do not wish to mar them."

He sighed. "Is there anything I can do to help? To ease this burden?"

"Just hold me."

━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━

She pulled away, sitting up and breathing deeply. He sat beside her, their fingers intertwined. "I'm dying." Her words were so soft that he could almost believe he hadn't heard them.

"What?"

"A wasting sickness," she said.

"But you seem well."