Chapter XXI

September 108 AC

September 108 AC

The sight before him was possibly the most beautiful Jamie had ever seen, the only way it could be improved was if the babe next to Aurelia was one of their own.

Aurelia was asleep on her large bed, her long dark hair falling around her peaceful face. Danae was sleeping as well, snuggled against her slightly exposed chest, Aurelia's hand laid protectively on her back.

When Jamie had first entered Aurelia's rooms and found them to be empty, he had very much wanted to find her maids and throttle them. She was a Princess for gods' sake. Her safety was important, she shouldn't be left alone. After entering her chambers and seeing her cuddled with Danae, he could understand why they'd been left alone, but he was still going to have a word with her guards.

He was reluctant to make a move not wanting to disturb her, but not wanting to leave them in anyway, he had no business to attend to today. He had already trained and he'd looked for Aurelia hoping they would be able to go on a walk, but he doubted that would happen now. He knew Danae had been difficult these past few weeks and only now was he starting to understand how difficult she'd been. Aurelia rarely, if ever, took naps but here she was, sleeping in the middle of the day.

"Aurelia," he murmured quietly not wanting to startle her. "Sweetheart."

Aurelia stirred awake slowly seeming quiet dazed and confused when her eyes opened fully."Jamie," she yawned with shock, before modestly trying to cover up her exposed form, as if he hadn't seen it countless times already.

"It's nothing I have not seen before," Jamie said with a laugh, but she continued the process of pulling her dress back over her arms anyway, however she did so with a small smile on her lips.

"Is something the matter, Jamie?" Aurelia questioned, as she always did when he visited her unexpectedly.

"Can a man not simply wish to see his lady love?" Jamie teased, enjoying the look of happiness that washed over her face.

Aurelia made no response to him, other than her smile, for Danae had just begun to cry beside her. "Shhh my sweet hatchling," Aurelia cooed gently.

Gods, now he was thinking of her soothing their own child. It was an impossible dream, but one he clung to nonetheless. He climbed into the bed beside her and wrapped his arm around her, their fingers touching.

Aurelia placed one hand in Jamie's hair and pulled his face down to meet hers. The kiss was deep and passionate, deepening as time went on, neither willing to let the other go.

━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━

"It's only been half a year since my mother died, and already the try to marry my father off and replace me as heir," Rhaenyra says softly as the three of them make their way through the Sept, an expression of displeasure on her face. "I know those men and how they plot in their secret council when I've been sent away."