Chapter XXXII

May 110 AC

May 110 AC

The celebrations for their recent wins on the battlefield were the merrier ones they'd had since their war began. It was the first time they'd had such a string of successes and it was enough to lead them to believe the tide was turning in their favor.

Wine and ale and mead flowed liberally and soon, nearly everybody was worse the wear for alcohol.

Including Lady Laena, the Sea Snake's daughter. Somewhere in her brain, she knew that six cups of ale was really far too much for her, but it was so hard to say no when people, alight with joy, kept handing her drinks and when her many Velaryon cousins lead here out into some dance. Besides, if she ignored the fact that her head was spinning, she felt joyfully reckless. She felt as though nothing could hurt her, not even scandal. After all, her mother was a Princess of the Blood, her father the richest man in the realm and she rode the largest dragon in existence. No one could stand against her.

"Laena, come on. You've had more than enough. You'd better come with me."

Morgan had appeared her side. His arms snaked around her waist as he started to pull her gently towards the tents

She turned slowly, sensuously, to face him.

"I don't —" she began, but then the moonlight hit his dark hair just right and highlighted just how chiseled his jaw was. Gods, he was desirable.

"I want to kiss you," she blurted, wine loosening her tongue until she was unusually candid about her emotions. Morgan looked at her flushed face and pecked her cheek tenderly.

"I'm sure you do, but we'd best get you somewhere safe first."

Laena pouted, but pretended to comply, at least until they were alone.

Then suddenly, as though she could control herself no longer, she lunged, slamming her lips on to his with more force than she even thought possible.

"Laena!" Morgan gasped into the kiss, but he couldn't resist her passion for long. A few moments later, he was kissing her back, unable to stop himself.

As usual, their hands began to wander and Morgan thought nothing of it at first, at least not until Laena grabbed one of his hands and pressed it between her legs. She had pushed her skirts away so that all she had on between his fingers and her underparts was a flimsy shift. A flimsy shift that was utterly soaked.

A jolt went through him and he straightened instantly.

"Laena, no. I won't do it. I promised you I'd not to take your maidenhead until we were married. I mean to keep that promise."

"But I don't want you to! Please, Morgan, please! I probably lost it on one of my many flights on Vhagar already. It's not like anyone would know. And gods know when we'll be married. How much longer are we going to have to wait?"