Chapter XVIII

April 108 AC

April 108 AC

As usual, Otto found the king in his chambers at work on his model.  "Ah, Otto, good morning."

"Good morning, Your Grace," he returned. "I am concerned, I must say."

"Tell me of your concerns as we walk,"  with that Viserys stood and made his way out of the rooms, no doubt heading for the Small Council chambers.

"I am just concerned for the Realm, Your Grace and what may happen..." he did not go any further, seeing the dark expression coming on the King's face.

"My wife is barely cold in her grave," the king hissed. "I will not hear more of the succession at this moment. Rhaenyra is my heiress and it will remain so."

"My apologies, but it is something that we must discuss," the Hand insisted harder, his voice calm but raised. "You have a son at last. He should be Prince of Dragonstone. The succession must be discussed."

"And I have stated that it will be dealt with after the mour–"  the door opening made him stop suddenly. "Aunt."

Otto turned around and found Princess Viserra, with the Princesses Aurelia and Rhaenyra both trailing behind her. He nodded his head to the three, giving a small bow.

"Viserys, it is good to see you this morning," the elder Targaryen princess replied.  "Lord Hightower."

Otto's eyes narrowed. "It is lovely to see that you are making sure your niece has found her way here. It is very dear indeed, to see you caring for your niece in such a way after the Queen's passing."

"Oh, they will be joining us," Corlys Velaryon told him as he entered the room, a broad smile on his face.

"The King has an announcement to make," Princess Rhaenyra said as she stepped into the chamber.

He wasn't sure why, but Otto did not think he would like whatever it was.

━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━

Viserys lead her into the chamber and sat her on Otto Hightower's right. Around the table were the members of the Small Council, with Aurelia standing uncertainly by Rhaenyra's side. Corlys took his seat, as did Otto and then finally the King.  Her niece was standing by a side table, a jug in her hands.

"Gentlemen...and Princesses, I thank you for coming. There was a proposal put to me and I think that it will be at least a temporary solution to some problems we have to address," he began, skirting around any direct mention of topics he wasn't ready to deal with. Particularly the succession and his remarriage. "When we host guests at the keep, it is traditionally the queen's duty to prepare the court for their arrival. That is one more way in which my wife's death has left a vacuum here. It is because of this, that I have decided to appoint one of the women in my family to this role. That said, the Princess Viserra will take on these set of duties."