Chapter XLIV

Rhaenyra stood by her father's side, holding Danae's hand to ensure she wouldn't run away

Rhaenyra stood by her father's side, holding Danae's hand to ensure she wouldn't run away. The girl was eager to see Aurelia again, but quite impatient. Alicent stood on her father's other side, Aegon in her arms.

She straightened up as the wheelhouse rolled through the gates, wondering how much could Aurelia have changed in the two years that had passed since they last saw each other. As soon as it stopped, a footman went to open the door and almost immediately a little girl with olive skin tripped down, a cry of 'be careful' coming from behind her as Aurelia took the steps down carefully, one of her daughters clutched to her chest.

Aurelia immediately collected herself and took her other daughter's hand in her own as three other women left the wheelhouse, taking their place behind her.

Her father broke from the line then and reached for Aurelia's hands, clasping them tightly.

"Sister," he beamed at her. "I see there's been two wonderful additions to our family, and one to come yes?"

Aurelia nodded. "Yes, two little girls. Alyssa is the elder, here in my arms, and Baela came just a few minutes afterwards. Named after your parents, Your Grace."

"May I?"

Aurelia looked hesitant, but she nodded, gesturing for her father to take Baela, rather than Alyssa.

Viserys cooed at the toddler, bouncing her slightly in his arms.

"What a fine princess you are, hmm?"

The girl decided to bare her teeth at her uncle. "No pwicess! Agon!"

Aurelia gave the child a smile, gesturing for one of her ladies to take Baela back from her father as she passed Alyssa into another's arms, the babe barely even stirring at the change in arms holding her.

"Baela has her father's spirit," she explained. "I dread the headaches she'll cause when she's older."

Her father chuckled as Alicent gave the girls a displeased look, interfering into the conversation. "Husband. Would it not be prudent to introduce Aegon?"

"Yes! Yes! Of course!" Her father says eagerly, taking her half-brother into his arms before passing him into a surprised Aurelia's arms. After analyzing her, he seemed to deem her alright in his eyes because quite quickly the toddler settled into her arms, the woman bouncing him slightly.

Rhaenyra saw as Otto shot Aurelia an annoyed look and felt a stab of delight at his face.

Aegon stared at Aurelia's face with a surprisingly focused look for one so young. He placed a pudgy hand on her cheek, gazing into her eyes. Rhaenyra looked down as she felt a tugging in her dress, meeting her sister's eyes.

Not caring of the audience or for her dress, she knelt down and cupped Danae's face on her hands. "What's wrong, sweet one?"

"Is that Amma?" She asked shyly and she had to suck in a breath, not prepared for the question. Of course, she remembered Danae had referred to Aurelia as such and she knew what the word meant in the old Rhoynish tongue, but she'd not been prepared to face it again. She'd thought her sister would have forgotten it, with her having been so young when Aurelia had been recalled to Dorne. She'd hoped Danae missed her presence and her comfort, more than she missed having a surrogate mother, since she'd never quite taken to Alicent.