two of clubs (2)

Honestly, you'd thought Hange was joking. A scare tactic, maybe. Something of that nature. And sure, maybe you kind of believed it, but seeing it unfold...

"What the fuck!" Levi demands, his voice a mix of anger and surprise. "Fuck-"

"Round two, begin. Time remaining, five minutes," your phone says cheerily.

In a random spike of rage, you chuck the phone across the room. It hits the wall and the case somehow doesn't break, which makes you want to yell again. Instead, you turn back to the body on fire, praying that you're making this up in your head, somehow, some way, but-

There are hands on your shoulders- Hange. "Believe us now?" they ask, and there's an element of seriousness in their gaze that catches you off guard. "Yeah?"

"Why the hell did she choose the fire room," the smoker is grumbling, shaking his head.

"I don't think she had much interest in living," Erwin says.

"Hey hey hey," Hange says, and your eyes drift back to them. "Do you want to get out of this? Then you've got to keep your head on. Okay?" Your eyes shift to the burning girl, and Hange's hands seize your jaw. "No! No, don't look at her, look at me. Come on."

You look to Hange. You swallow hard, and you nod. This is real; you've got to get your shit together.

Hange beams. "Good, good. Okay, girl, give the doors a look, because we've only got a few minutes."

They pat your shoulders, then move away to Erwin. You stand there, frozen in place, still looking at the corpse that's halfway out of the furthest room, crackling and sizzling on the floor. You can feel bile rising in your throat.

Someone moves into your peripheral, and you turn your head to look. It's Levi. He's holding out a device- his phone. No, not his phone, his is in his other hand. He's handing you yours.

Silently, you take it from him, hands settling onto it in a death grip. You pinch your lips together and nod as a silent thank you; if he gets it, he doesn't say, because he's already turned towards the doors. You slide the phone into the pocket of your pants- maybe you can just forget it exists entirely.

"I don't know what any of this means," Hange complains. "Apis mellifera, araneae, vespidae, and serpentes? What the hell?"

"I think serpents is a safe guess for the last door," Levi says dryly.

"Snakes!" one of the girls squeaks. "No way!"

"They're all Latin," Erwin muses, eyes scanning the various doors. "Latin names."

Your eyes widen. Yes, that makes sense- you've never really done much Latin, but you've seen a few Latin names before in some of the reports you'd write in the few science classes you've had to take. Yes, Latin. That makes sense.

You look towards the doors, reading the names for yourself. So the last rooms were the elements- now these are going to have animals of some sort. Okay. You just have to pick the right animal.

"So, serpentes, snakes," Hange says. "That's definitely out."

"Araneae is probably spiders," Erwin says.

Levi shrugs. "No clue what the fuck vespidae is."

"Doesn't sound pleasant."

"Apis mellifera." The blond man walks closer to that door, two words sketched across it. "That's unfamiliar too."

"Bees," you suggest.

Everyone turns to stare at you. "Bees?" one of the other girls asks, raising her eyebrows at you.