ten of hearts (2)

This one's almost 11k words... strap in, folks. XOXO enjoy!!

.

It takes you about a full two minutes to explain everything to Levi and give him the phone you'd grabbed for him. Then, it takes him about ten minutes to explain everything to you.

You think he's got more to explain than you do. "So that's the game," you finish, fidgeting with the phone in your hands that reads 1:37:55. "Can you... what the..."

You don't even know where to start. Levi raises his eyebrows. "What?"

He's shirtless right now, having given you his coverup, which makes it damn hard to concentrate on his face and not his abs. Fuck's sake. "Why were you fighting, like, everyone on the Beach?" you ask, finding your words. "Was that Erwin's plan? Was that a safe? Did you get the cards- is that even what you were going for? Why wouldn't you just tell him Erwin was the one who came up with this? Is that why you didn't want me involved?"

You run out of breath and you have to pause. Levi raises his eyebrows. "They started it," he begins. "Yes, that was Erwin's plan. Yes, that was a safe. I'm not sure if Erwin has the cards yet. Yes, that's what we were going for. I nearly did," he mutters, which you think is his response to you asking if he was going to throw Erwin under the bus. "That's a long story. Yes, that's why I didn't want you involved."

Oh. He answered everything. You wave your hands in the air. "So?..."

"So?"

"Please, for the love- what's going on," you plead, crossing your arms. "I'm so confused. I was so freaked out when I saw... when I saw you fighting everyone, and then Floch grabbed me, and I was so freaked out that I-" you laugh weakly. "God, I'm so pathetic."

Levi's eyebrows furrow. "Did you get stupid since we last talked?" he murmurs.

His attempt at humor makes your lips twitch. "No, I just..." you sigh. "I was so confused and so frantic that I forgot I literally had my damn pepper spray," you admit. "I didn't remember until it was too late to use it, and I only got the chance to when Floch got distracted, and by then I'd-"

"You used it?" Levi interrupts.

You fight back a smile as you nod. "Yeah."

Now, Levi's smirking. "Finally came in handy, huh," he murmurs, and he's reaching for you. His fingers find the edge of your coverup sleeve and he starts messing with your sleeve again.

Your heart is damn noisy in your chest. "Yeah," you choke out. "Yeah- yeah, handy. But a bit late. After he..."

You trail off. Levi's neck snaps as he whips his head up. "After he what? Did he touch you?"

"He just- he-" Levi's tone is downright murderous and it makes you stiffen up. "No, no, he just- just cut me here and here," you say, touching your collarbone and the hole in your hand. "He just- I just talked and rambled a lot and got him to be interested in my arm and I distracted him for long enough. And this one," you add, touching your cheek, "was just a stroke of luck. He was swinging wildly when I pepper sprayed him."

Levi hums in acknowledgement. He's still fidgeting with your sleeve- what's he doing?

"Um- could you tell me what's going on?" you ask, eyes flickering from Levi to the floor and then back again. "With Erwin?"

He stops messing with your sleeve. Then, he drops his hands. "I wanted to keep you out of this," Levi mutters, looking away. "But I guess it's too late at this point."

"A bit, yeah."

His eyes meet yours. "Erwin had a plan to steal the cards from Zeke," Levi tells you. "If it were true that only one person could leave, it'd be Zeke, and that'd leave the Beach in the hands of Floch. Unideal."