Chapter 25

"This is a terrible idea," Percy told Serena when they stopped in front of their destination.

"How?" Serena asked.

It only took one look at the cabin to know the occupants were unfriendly: The cabin itself was twice as big as the others, as the Apollo cabin had agreed to give the Ares demigods a part of their land in exchange for the Ares demigods exempting the Apollo kids from bullying (they had tried to do the same with Percy, but the threat of getting soaked in toilet water was enough to extinguish their bloodlust); the roof was lined with sharp barbed wire that looked like it was sharpened to cut through bone; the exterior walls were covered in metal spikes—some still coated with dried blood from the unfortunate demigods who had leaned on the wall; a boar's head hung on the door, and seemed to lock its red eyes on Percy.

"Ares hates me," Percy said, stepping back with a shiver of fear. "Naturally, his kids hate me as well."

"You better change that ASAP," Serena informed him. "'Cause my friend's dad is Lord Ares."

"Great," Percy muttered sarcastically as Serena dragged him into the cabin. 

The interior wasn't much better, as the cabin had been painted blood-red, undertoned by the fact that weapons had been bolted onto every surface possible: the walls, the ceiling—and even the floor. Bunk beds had been pushed to the side, allowing targets and straw dummies to occupy the center of the room. Beside Clarisse's bed—recognizable by the parts of Maimer 6.7 on the mattress—Percy thought he saw his picture tacked on the wall, a knife through his forehead.

"You're finally here," said a gruff voice.

The owner was at the far side of the cabin, sitting on her bed and sharpening her sword with a whetstone. She had long brown hair and a dangerous look in her eyes, suggesting to anyone in sight that she wouldn't hesitate to kill them. Her muscles showed that she was the real deal.

Percy gulped. He knew who this was.

And unfortunately for him, not as friends.

"Alina," Serena greeted. "Thanks for meeting with me at such short notice."

"You owe me one," Alina replied. "I'm skipping breakfast for you, and I need to eat a certain amount of calories power day to beat up this one green-eyed kid . . ."

She can't be talking about me, right? Percy desperately wondered.

As though she was reading his mind, Alina looked up and locked eyes with Percy.

She's definitely talking about me, Percy thought as Alina scowled at him. 

"What is he doing here?" Alina asked Serena with a growl of anger. "Is he taking you hostage?" Alina raised her hand as if she was about to throw her sword at Percy.

Before anything could happen, Serena stepped forward. "No!" she exclaimed. "I brought him here!" 

"Why?" Alina asked. "Did you carry him here as a tribute I can kill?"

"Why do you hate him so much?" Serena inquired defeatedly. 

Alina kicked off her blanket, revealing the brace on her right knee. "Sea-Scum knocked me into a tree during Capture the Flag," she grunted. "I fractured my leg in three places."

"You were threatening me with a sword," Percy pointed out. "It was self-defense."

Not helping, Serena mouthed to him when she had to stop Alina from throwing her sword again.

"Injuries are to be expected after such a violent game," Serena said. " Luckily for you, your friend is a very competent daughter of Apollo." 

She knelt in front of Alina and placed her hands on the brace. A bright, golden light emanated from her hands, inducing the other two demigods to shut their eyes. It wasn't a harsh glare, like the Olympians' true-form auras, but a calming glow, as though Percy had taken a nap on the ocean's seabed.