Chapter 26

Artemis walked into her palace, a morose expression on her face.

It seemed empty without the laughs or cries of her hunters. The entry foyer, where they would hang their bows on hooks, was full of dust. Artemis' heart felt the same way.

The dining room was even worse. Out of the sixteen chairs, only two had been in use— and now, it would be one. Pockets of light streamed through the shuttered windows, poking holes in the darkness—and even those disappeared when Artemis glared at them. She was left in the shadows. But even this seemed peaceful compared to what came next: the bedroom.

As Artemis walked through the threshold, she noticed that it was a familiar room. Her feet had carried her to the room of her former lover—if she could even call him that. A desk was pushed to the corner, tiny scratch marks scarring its surface. The couch's pillows were flattened from their plump shape, and the bed's sheets were crumpled. Artemis collapsed on it. 

Tears streamed down her face as silent sobs shook her body. The smell of Percy's shampoo elicited a chain reaction—as if he was still manipulating her. She clutched at the pillows. What was she doing wrong? Why was everyone leaving her? 

Artemis could easily ask Percy for an explanation, but she knew what would happen: He would make up tons of excuses—and just when she believed him like the naive girl she was, he would return to the man he really was. 

And naive she was; Artemis had thought Percy was the perfect man. But now she knew that he had mastered hiding his evil nature. And he had broken her heart.

A knock sounded on the front door. The sound bounced around the walls and reached the bedroom.

Artemis ignored it. It was probably her brother. Usually, he would've just teleported in, but he probably wasn't about to risk Artemis blowing him up in anger—and he was right to be scared. After all, he'd sided with Percy.

The person at the door knocked again. Then again. And again.

When the fifth knock sounded, Artemis was filled with rage. She snapped off the bed and marched to the door. I'm going to murder that little twerp. 

She snapped her fingers, cleaning up her appearance from the red, puffy-eyed heartbroken woman into the cold goddess. She pulled open the door. "Apollo, what in the name of Father are you doing . . . ?" she started.

And then she realized Apollo wasn't the one knocking. Instead, a black-haired boy in his early twenties stood outside. He was handsome—but nowhere near as attractive as Perseus. 

Where did that even come from? Artemis thought defeatedly, closing his eyes in disgust. Stop. Thinking. Of. Him. 

If she wasn't so conflicted, she would've seen the sly grin suddenly fall off the man's face into an awestruck expression upon the door opening.

"Get off my property before I tear your soul out of your body," Artemis threatened, opening her eyes. 

The man wasn't cowed by the threat and knelt. "Lady Artemis," he greeted.

"What do you want?" the goddess snapped.

"I heard you were exiling yourself from society," the man replied.

"And how does that concern you?" Artemis asked. "I can do what I want. You males can't control me."

"You've been my favorite deity," the man said quietly. "Ever since you gave my sister a new home. Please, Lady Artemis; if you keep this up, you'll fade."

There was a pause. Artemis stared at him, shocked. In her whole immortal life, no male had ever accosted her so forcefully; this man had broken onto her property and then had persistently knocked the place door until she responded. He was toying with death—or maybe, his kindness was peeking through.

Meanwhile, the man black-haired man had a manipulative smile on his face—only, Artemis couldn't see it because his head was bowed. It was working, Tresspasser thought. Lady Artemis was starting to believe him—and if he kept this up, she'd be his within no time. He could already imagine all the wealth he would gain. He wouldn't have to suffer anymore, and when he became a god after he married Artemis, he could enjoy that for eternity. It was a foolproof plan. 

"Please leave, male—or I'll have to blast you into pieces," Artemis finally said. "There's nothing for me to live for, but . . . thank you for your kindness. It means a lot to me."

"What if I gave you something to care for?" Trespasser blurted out when the goddess attempted to close the door.

Artemis looked at him in disdain. "If it's you, get ready to die."

"Of course not," Trespasser reassured, bowing his head in apology. "I have a gift for you. It'll be ready in a few weeks. Please let me live until then."

"Very well," Artemis agreed. "Please inform me when it's ready . . ." she raised her eyebrow.

Trespasser got to his feet and bowed deeply. "It's Xavier, my lady."

"Xavier," Artemis tested out, then raised her voice again. "Well, I'll be waiting here for that gift. Oh, and the next time you're on my property without my permission, you won't see the light of day again."

"Thank you for giving me a chance," Xavier said. He bowed a final time.

As he walked away, Xavier couldn't stop the greedy smile from spreading onto his face. The birds seemed to stop chirping as he passed by. He could already taste his immortality.