6

On the morning of your 10th day, you woke up to your cell phone ringing. You'd been so busy lately that'd you neglected to use it.

"Lo?" you answer the phone, half ass pronouncing your greeting. It felt way too early. Maybe you were a bit hungover.

"Miss (Y/n)?"

Shit. That sounded formal. "That's me," you say, sitting up and rubbing the sleep from your eyes.

"It's Harvey, just calling to remind you about your appointment tomorrow morning." He was silent for a moment and he sounded a bit amused when he said, "I didn't wake you, did I? You sound sleepy."

Slightly embarrassed, you deny the accusations. "Nah, I'm just a bit tired from working on the farm today."

"I see," the professionalism was back in his voice. "Don't overwork yourself."

"Sure thing doc," you say and he hangs up.

Checking your phone, you realize it was already 9. Your animals were probably hungry. As you did your morning chores, you thought back to last night.

You'd been pretty rude to Shane. He deserved it but.. it didn't sit right with you. You weren't usually like that. Maybe you should go apologize to him or something..

"I don't want to just show up randomly," you said to yourself as you trekked back inside to make yourself some breakfast. "I know, I'll just use buying more hay as an excuse."

And so after eating, showering, and grabbing the things you needed, you walked down to Marnie's.

It wasn't quite the pleasant visit you had imagined. Upon opening the door, you walked into what you could only describe as a hot mess.

Marnie's exasperated voice echoed from the kitchen. "Shane! You're late for work, get your butt up," followed by knocking. Jas stood at her side, holding onto Marnie's clothes.

"I'm up, stop yelling at me," Shane left his room. He looked even worse than last night.

"You've been drinking yourself blind again," Marnie said, crossing her arms. "You look like a wreck. When are you going to get your life together?"

That was definitely the wrong thing to say. Shane lost his temper and soon enough they were both arguing. Deciding you had seen way more than you should have, you backed towards the door. But of course, your phone went off.

Marnie and Shane were too caught up to notice, but Jas whipped her head over to you. She fled to your side, grabbing a hold of the hem of your shirt. "I don't like it when Uncle Shane gets mean," she looked like she was on the verge of tears.

Your frowned, wracking your brain for a solution. You wanted to get out of here before anyone else found out, but you couldn't just leave Jas all by herself.

"Come on, Jas. You like flowers, don't you?"

She nods, following you outside. Spring flowers were spread out across grass in front of her house. You took a seat in a good spot and Jas tentatively sat beside you. The argument could still be heard so you started talking to cover it up.

"Do you what this flower is called?" you say, picking up a daffodil. She shakes her head, smiling as you placed the flower in her hair. "It's a daffodil. How about we make a flower crown?" you ask, putting on a smile.

"Okay," she says, no longer looking so sad.

"Grab the flowers that you like the most and I'll teach you how." You watch as she jumps up, skipping around in the grass around you as she picked up flowers.