7

Even though you had set your alarm, it certainly didn't help you get out of bed that morning. You contemplated staying in bed, but your farm needed care and your animals needed food. You slipped on a robe over your pajamas, putting on your boots before heading outside.    

You didn't make it very far however. Sam was standing on your porch, hand outstretched as if to knock. You regretted your decision of not properly dressing.    

"Good morning," he says, "you look comfy."   

"I just woke up," you reply, heading over to fill up your watering can. Sam followed you.    

"So, I had a question," he starts, walking a few paces behind you as you did your farm work.    

"What's up?"   

"Would you be opposed to adopting a cat?"    

You look at him as you headed over to your chicken coop. "A cat?"   

"Yeah," he leans against the door frame. "You see, Marnie found this stray wandering around the front of her house last night, and she's been asking people to take it in all morning. Problem is, nobody really wants it. I'd take it in myself but mom said no."   

"So.. you want me to take it?"    

"Yeah," he holds the door open for you on your way out after feeding the hungry hens. "That way I can come see it whenever I want." He grins at you.    

"Ohhh, I see. You want me to take it in so it can be yours." you grin back at him.    

"Ours," he corrects. "but mostly mine."   

"I don't know, Sam. I have enough responsibility at the farm already."   

He grabs your hand and holds it with both of his. "Please? I couldn't stand it if the little guy got sent to a shelter." He gives you puppy dog eyes.    

"Fineee. But if it's mostly yours, then you have to name it."   

"Hell yeah!" he gives you a quick one armed hug. "You're the best. We can take turns buying food for it and everything."   

"Just don't make the poor thing bounce between homes like a child of divorce."   

He laughs. "Nah, we'll be good cat parents. Can I really come see him whenever?"   

"Sure, just within reason. Don't show up to my house at midnight begging to see the kitty."   

"Deal!" he walks with you back up to your porch.   

"I have somewhere to be, but you're welcome to come inside and make yourself a cup of coffee while I get ready."   

He makes a beeline for the kitchen. You grab your clothes and head to the bathroom. You locked the door. Sam wasn't the kind of guy to peek or anything, but you felt more secure with the door locked. Didn't want any accidents happening.    

After a quick shower, you walked into the kitchen. Sam was at the stove. "Hey," he says, looking over his shoulder as you walk closer. "I hope you don't mind. I wanted to say thanks for agreeing to take in the cat. Hope you like eggs, bacon, and toast. There's also coffee left if you want some."   

"Aww, thanks Sam. You're such a good friend." You pour yourself a cup of coffee and sit down at the table. It didn't take long for the food to be done.    

Sam told you all about the cat as you ate. He really did love that cat already.    

"Anyway," he says, finally changing topics. "Where you headed today?"