18. 'May I offer a suggestion?'

Natalia

Lia points at the TV on the wall in the corner, so both Phillip and I can see the slides, but no one walking by the glass wall would. "Let's begin with the term. Sounds like six months is what all parties have agreed to. With a re-evaluation and potential extension if the results are not clear yet."

"The results?" I pull my hand from under Phillip's.

"If the pregnancy hasn't occurred." Kit watches me with caution in his gaze. I don't say anything and he proceeds. "If it did, then part four section C will go into effect immediately."

Lia flicks to a new slide. "But if there has not been a viable pregnancy by then, you will both have to decide if you'd like to try longer or terminate the agreement." Lia emphasizes 'terminate' with a side nod of her head. "Both parties agreement at the time of the reevaluation will be required."

Six months is plenty of time to get pregnant. A beginning of a headache pulses a warning at the back of my head. I ignore my fluttering stomach and the statistics about women my age that scroll through my mind. Mom managed to do this the very first month her and Dad met. I have good genetics on my side. "I'm good with it."

"Same," Phillip says.

We go over two pages of term and conditions before we get to the one Phillip and I could not agree on over the email.

"Expenses." Lia slides identical pages to Phillip and me. "Sounds like Nata would like to contribute equally to the child support fund that the child's expenses will be coming out of, while Phillip prefers it be based on the income percentage. Which you don't agree to?" She looks at me.

I pick up the paper and glide my finger over the edges. "I don't ever anticipate to earn the same range of a salary as Phillip." I didn't go into science for the big bucks. "Unless his company goes under, he'll always be earning considerably more." I let our a you-get-it puff of air. "I don't want to have any disputes in the future where the parent who earns more is somehow enjoys the upper hand in any potential custody negotiations."

"We have provision H that addresses that." Kit points to a line on the document in my hand.

"No." I flip the page over and set my palms over it. "I won't be comfortable spending Phillip's money."

Without turning to Phillip, I sense his disapproval seeping out of him as he remains silent.

"You won't be spending them on yourself." Managing to sound both soothing and commanding, Lia plants her hands on the table. "You will only be spending them on the child's needs and expenses."

Her intimidation tactics won't work on me. "If I have to spend Phillip's money, I'll feel indebted to him." I cross my hand on my chest. "No," I say it louder this time. "I can't agree to that." I face Phillip and address the last words to him.

"But don't you want our child to have everything money can afford them?" Phillip's eyes narrow.

Our child. My heart stumbles as the words hit. Less theoretical than when I was combing through the documents. So real. Too real. I breathe in as deeply as my crossed arms allow me. Our child. We'll have a baby we both will take care of. Something we'll share till the end of our lives. Our child.

"You say like this is a good thing." I let my hands slide to my knees. "I didn't have all the money in the world and I turned out okay."

"Did I turn out that badly?" He raises his eyebrows and cocks his head.

I bite my lip. "Not what I meant."

"What's important here is that you both contribute the amount that is commensurate with your income." Lia sounds like a referee. "That's standard practice with divorces. We both advise you follow this logic." Lia glances to Kit for reinforcement.