19. 'He won't find out it from me'

Phillip

I could've sent Dustin to Dr. Lutz's office to pick up Dad's first set of meds, but in addition to my concerns that Dustin will find a way to mix something up, talking to Dr. Lutz and making sure we're doing everything we can is more important than another meeting that could've been an email.

"The most common side effects are nausea, vomiting, sleepiness. Some experience hallucinations." The doctor hands me a folder with printouts. "The full list is here. Your dad and I discussed what to expect. You'll have to verify that the aid ensures he takes the medication at the times and dosages I recommend. We will re-evaluate in a month, or sooner if any of the side effects become severe." He gives me the warning look. "Your father knows to call me: nights, weekends, if you or he notice that things are worse, not better, let's talk. These are just the first options. There are other possible treatments we can discuss."

"Will do." I stand.

"One more thing." He hands me another folder. "I'd like to test you for Parkinson's as well." My face must reflect my confusion, because he continues. "Even if you have the gene, it won't manifest for years most likely, but it's beneficial to know earlier if you have it and take precautions. If it's genetic, your kids might inherit it as well."

"Sure. What do I do?"

Dr. Lutz relaxes into his chair. After how much persuading he and I had to do with Dad Dr. Lutz is probably relieved, I am so easy. "I'll send you a referral to the study that is working on some newest ways to identify the genes and mutations potentially responsible. It includes genetic counseling to guide you through your results. There're no guarantees. They might not detect anything, and you still might get the disease as genetics is only part of the reason."

"Does my dad know you're recommending this?"

He shakes his head. "That'd be a HIPAA violation. I can't discuss your medical care with him unless you ask me to, like your dad did with his medical records."

I don't want to lie to Dad, but I don't want to worry him if there is nothing to worry about. I give the doctor one of my most charming smiles even though he can't say no to me. I need him on my side. "Maybe let's wait and see what the tests say. This way if there's nothing to worry about, I just tell him the good news."

"He won't find out it from me." He does the zipping his mouth gesture.

I shift toward the door and stop. While I am here, I might as well. I widen my grin. "I was wondering if I could run other tests."

"Is something bothering you?" Gentle smile, soft eyes, relaxed eyebrows—Dr. Lutz's face dawns his ultra professional mask.

"No. I"—I run my hand though my hair—"I'm sorta planning to have a child, and I'd like to make sure everything is working as it's supposed to."

"Everything? Do you need a consultation with a fertility specialist?"

"Not yet, but maybe get checked for whatever we can."

"A blood panel like we do for your annuals?"

"STIs?" Heat rises to my cheeks like when I was fifteen, buying my first condoms at a gas station, and the cashier was inspecting my cheeks that a collection of pimples but had no stubble in sight.

"We can do that. Tell your assistant to schedule a full physical once the results are in." The clickety-clack of his fingers on the keyboard are almost soothing. "We'll discuss and see if you need to see any specialists."

***

With Dad back at the house, I thought I'd have time to talk to him, but between me flying back to New York to leave instructions on what to move here and explaining to Dustin what changes I need at my side of the duplex, I didn't have time for a proper sit-down conversation with Dad. Mrs. Buckingham's pancakes have always been Dad's favorite. Everyone in the house knew the best way to butter Dad up was to start his morning with her pancakes. Bonus points if they had bananas or blueberries in them. Today's version has both.