chapter 6

Carina hated being away from her wife for this long. She loved her job, don't get her wrong, but after almost 20 hours here she was ready to go home.

She'd gotten a text from her wife saying she was going to a bar across the hospital with someone from her team, Vic, and of course Carina knew who Vic was because Maya had told Carina about her, she had told Carina about everyone from the team, and so Carina knew Vic had never outwardly been mean to Maya and so she didn't have to worry much.

But it also meant that Carina knew who to look out for from Maya's team, she was aware of how Andy had treated her wife and she knew about Maya and Jack's history, she knew exactly what each of the team had done even if she didn't recognize them by their face. She knew if she saw any of them she would have to hold herself back from giving them a piece of her mind.

The thought raced around in her mind as she made her way to the E.R where she had been paged when she saw an aid car with the number 19 plastered onto its side stop in front of the hospital. A small part of her had hoped it would be someone Maya had mentioned but she knew to respect her wife's boundaries and not cause a scene with any of them knowing that wouldn't fare well for any of the.

She'd stayed quiet as a man stepped down from the aid car listing details about the patient. The name tag on his uniform read Lt. Ruiz, and she tried to think if Maya had ever mentioned this man to her but her mind came up blank making her come to the conclusion that maybe he was new to 19 which made her relax a little knowing he hadn't caused her wife any hurt.

She was following along with what the man was saying without a problem until someone else jumped out of the driver's seat and Carina instantly recognized him as the man she had seen around the hospital more times than anyone from Maya's team, Ben Warren.

Carina knew that Ben was married to the chief of the hospital so she had never said a word to the man even if she had really wanted to, she knew that Ben had been a merely probie when Maya was promoted to captain, blindly following what his team was doing as to not be caught in the crossfire, but that didn't stop Carina from already having formed an opinion about him.

But she also knew that Ben had been a good friend to her brother, they had been residents in this same hospital together and had formed a bond because of it, and so Carina also knew that the man's intentions weren't necessarily bad.

Ben and Ruiz started bringing the gurney inside the E.R walking behind Carina and Teddy towards the Trauma room still updating them on what they knew about the woman before Teddy thanked them and they walked out of the room.

Carina hadn't said a word to either men and had continued to work on the patient with a cold face and a stern posture turned away from them, something she wouldn't have done if it was any other paramedic or firefighter bringing in a patient and Teddy had noticed this asking her what was wrong.

But the Italian had just shook her head and said nothing before resuming checking on her patient slowly ruling out symptoms from a checklist in her head. After concluding that the baby was okay she had left one of her interns to monitor them and instructed them to update her if anything changed.

She walked out of the trauma room and up to the nurses desk before the man came up next to her.

"Dr. Deluca?"

"Yes?"

"Hey I'm Ben Warren, a friend of Andrew's your-"

"My brother si, I'm aware" she responded in the same uninterested and cold tone but still moved her face to look directly at him and not down at the tablet in her hand.

"Right. Well he's just one of my closest friends and I've known him for about 8 years now and he always talked about how much he missed you so I'm glad you're here now knowing how much this means to him" he said and Carina couldn't keep a cold face anymore, she loved her brother and knowing that he had found friends that cared about him this much was heartwarming for the brunette.