chapter 8

Maya had come back from a 12-hour shift just an hour after Carina had left for the hospital, barely missing the woman again for the third time that week. She was glad that she had the next two days off but her wife had just started a 36-hour shift and so she wouldn't see her for a while.

The blonde quickly decided to take a shower and go to sleep already exhausted despite having a shorter shift. She quickly discarded her clothes and jumped in, the warmth from the water relaxing her. She stepped out and dried herself off with a towel before putting on fresh clothes and heading towards her bed quickly picking up her phone when she heard it buzz.

Mia Moglie: Ciao tesoro, I hope you made it home okay? Sorry I missed you bambina, and I won't be able to call tonight. I've got an emergency surgery.

Mia Moglie: Sleep well amore, buona notte.

Maya sighed and quickly typed off a response saying it was okay but making up her mind that she was going to catch up on some sleep as there was no point staying up waiting for Carina as she was busy.

...

Maya woke up in the morning to an empty bed and shivered, the Seattle cold making her tuck herself deeper into her blanket. She turned around to look at the time making note that it was barely 6am.

She had never in her life slept in, instead chasing to wake up early and run, mostly because she had wanted to please her dad when she was young, always searching for the man's approval, and then later because it had become sort of a habit, an escape, but that all changed when Carina DeLuca had walked into her life, teaching her the importance of spending time in the comfort of her bed after she woke up. Of Sundays spent with the love of her life wrapped around her just talking about everything, of breakfasts had in bed.

She deeply missed her wife, getting annoyed once again at their schedules not aligning. An idea suddenly popped in her head and she made a beeline towards the bathroom changing into casual but comfortable clothes, putting her running shoes on under before grabbing her phone and wallet and heading out.

Their house hadn't been that far away from the hospital but Maya decided to run in the opposite direction searching for something she knew would cheer her wife up. Her steps came to a halt when she found what she was looking for before walking in.

She and Carina had been here often after they had moved to Seattle, it was the only place that made "acceptable" coffee in Carina's and often Andrew's expert opinion.

Maya had grabbed herself and her wife a cup before making her way to the hospital as fast as she could hoping that Carina would be in her office and not busy in the ER or with surgery. She knew there was one thing in this world that Carina hated the most and it was a goof cup of coffee gone cold.

The blonde hadn't stepped foot inside Grey-Sloan in a while but she knew the place really well considering how many patients she had brought in there as a firefighter. She might not have known where everything was but once she was on the OB floor the head-of-department office was hard to miss.

She lightly knocked on the door after seeing her wife's name on the glass Dr. Carina DeLuca, Head of Obstetrics and Gynecology and pride swelled in her chest.

Maya heard a muffled sound on the other end saying "come in" making her open the door and step in noticing that Carina's back was towards her, "Jo please don't tell me that Mrs Johnson is already in labor I just got back here" the brunette had whined in an exhausted voice

"Well then I'm glad I'm right here just in time to save you" she quipped and her wife turned her head around so fast that she was sure Carina had whiplash "aaand I brought you coffee".