The feeling of freedom

(Rahma's POV)

School was over today, and most students hurriedly made their way towards their cars to leave as it was raining non-stop, and the wind was quite strong.

It didn't look like it would get any better. Victoria and Margaret had already left me in school again, as usual. I had hoped they might have a change of heart just for today and take me with them, not leaving me alone to find my way back home in this weather. Unfortunately, I was wrong; they laughed at me and said, "See you at home, black." Their mocking voices still echoed in my head.

Almost every student was gone, and I was the only one standing outside the school, looking up at the sky.

Though it didn't bother me to be in the rain, as I always found peace in being drenched, it felt like every raindrop kept telling me, "We're here for you." I love the rain so much.

Looking around, I noticed no one was there. Everyone was gone, just like they always were. But then I decided that yes, I'm black, yes, I'm Muslim, and they might not want me, but they have no idea what they're missing out on. I know my strengths and capabilities. I wasn't brought into this life just to sulk, get beaten, and abused. I'm done being hurt by their words. From now on, I'll fight—with my words. What's the worst that can happen?

It's their loss. It has always been because I am Rahma, black melanin, and I'm proud of it.

Noticing that no one was around, I slowly removed my hijab and let my beautiful, curly dark hair flow. Yes, they call me ugly, but I'm just realizing that I'm far from it.

It's funny how long it took me to realize my worth. Yes, that's right, they hate me because of how beautiful and perfect I am, and they want to hide my beauty from the world. If they can't see the beauty because they're beasts, then they'll keep being in the dark.

I also took off my shoes, leaving me in just my jeans and a blue top.

"So, this is what freedom feels like," I softly whispered as I spread my arms wide, twirling in the rain.

I kept running in the rain while giggling alone.

"My name is Rahma, and I feel happy and free," I said while looking at the sky. I played like a child inside the rain, and at some point, I started dancing, which I suck at.

Well, I've already planned my future this year, and once I'm eighteen, I'll fight to live alone. No one knows, but I created a website that's very popularly used these days by millions of people, and I'm getting good money from it.

I just wonder if people will still use the website if they know that a black created it. Well, forget them because nothing they do is ever going to affect me now.

I was still dancing and playing in the rain when I heard a voice from behind me, which startled me.

"Don't you think you're going to catch a cold."

I turned around to find a drenched Asif looking devilishly handsome, his clothes hugging his body due to the rain, veins in his arms, messy hair even messier, his perfect jaw...

"It's rude to openly eye rape an innocent handsome boy and not answer his question," he said.

I found myself snorting at what he said, and before I could stop my mouth from replying, I heard myself saying, "Oh please, if anything, then you're not innocent or handsome."

I said, all the while looking into his green orbs and trying not to get lost in them.

I couldn't comprehend what was happening when I found Asif standing close to me while bending a little to face me. Our faces mere inches apart, causing me to stop breathing for a while.

"You really think I'm not handsome?" He whispered with a smirk. I found myself being bold when I said, "No, not handsome or attractive." Although I immediately regret my words when he moved his hands and removed the hair that was on my face, tucking it behind my ear.

For a moment, when he did that, everything went into slow motion. It was just a mere touch, but my body shivered due to it. It was a different feeling, being under the rain, with the breeze blowing softly against my skin while his hands felt like they were meant to be at my face.

I broke out of my thoughts when I heard him laughing, and that's when I realized that he wasn't standing so close to me anymore.

"Jerk!" I said.

"You should have seen your face," he said while laughing, "you were literally frozen on the spot even after I backed away," he said while his laughter died down.

I wanted to be angry with him, but I found myself smiling at how handsome he looked when laughing.

"Why are you still in school anyway?" I asked him, trying to change the subject.

"Yeah, I should be asking you the same question," he said.

"But I asked you first," I pointed out the obvious.

"I answer to who I want to," he said, and I couldn't help but notice the big jerk he is.

"Rude much?" I asked him.

"Well, only to pretty girls," he said, making me blush. Although that didn't make sense, I had no idea why I was blushing. Lucky me, my skin is dark.

"You're blushing," he pointed out, making me surprised.

"H-how did you know?" I asked and soon realized it was stupid to admit to that.

He chuckled before saying. "I didn't, I just guessed and seemed I was right," he said.

For a few more minutes, I found myself talking to Asif, who I doubted knew my name.

And when the rain stopped, he offered me a ride back home, which I accepted after threatening to cut his dick if he tried doing anything funny, and his reply was.

"Hey, if you're trying to murder me, then you could just tell me now so that I could save myself, but don't worry I have a strict mother who taught me to be a gentleman."

And true to his words, throughout the drive, he was actually well-behaved and wasn't a jerk.

For once, I actually truly felt happy. It was like the moment I stopped caring about how others thought of me, that was the moment I started smiling, the moment I believed that black is beautiful, that's the moment I knew my worth, and I actually made a new friend.

Wait, Asif and I are friends now, right?

Well, I might just have to go with the flow and see what happens next.

A/N. Pardon me for the errors, but I have to sleep now. Don't forget to like and comment. #thestrengthofblacks. Please follow my account on IG @toprankingnovels.