CHAPTER IV

Tom tiptoed into art class, where only two students—Afkinz and Camilla—were present. The wild, cat-like boy was painting frenetically with his bare hands, while Camilla used a brush with elegant strokes.

"Er... 'ello, Cammie," the incubus greeted his best friend as he sidled up next to Afkinz. "What's the word, eh?"

Camilla turned to the incubus, a frown on her face. "Impatient," she answered. "Have you seen Addi?"

"Thankfully, I 'aven't," Tom replied wryly. "Li'l lump o' school's been 'oundin' me evah since Kourtney snitched." Then he gave a frown of his own and asked, "Why d'you ask?"

Camilla shrugged and went back to painting. "Just wondering."

"...Roight." Tom turned to Afkinz and, seeing what the boy was doing, complained, "Aw, Kinzie! That ain't food, ya clod!" He snatched the paintbrush Afkinz had been gnawing on and held the chewed-up item away from him, grimacing as saliva dribbled from it. "Garn. Really did a number on this one, eh?"

"I chew on things when I'm anxious," MacKenzie snapped, snatching her paintbrush away from Tom with her red-stained hand. "You know that."

"Yeah, well, take it easy, awroight?" Tom snapped at her. "You'll mess up your teeth again."

MacKenzie looked as if she wanted to retort, but then softened and gave Tom a smile. "Okay. I'll try not to mess it up anymore." She patted her boyfriend on the arm. "Thanks for caring, Tom."

"Aw..." Tom blushed, rubbing the back of his head. "It ain't nothin', love."

"What're you anxious about?"

MacKenzie turned to Camilla, who was still focused on her painting. "Drama class starts today," she explained. "I haven't acted since I got my braces, so it's been over a year. I just... I don't know if I can still do it."

"Huh. Didn't know you acted," Camilla said distractedly, sweeping her brush across her canvas.

"That's 'cuz y'never came to any a' the plays," Tom pointed out.

"Oh, yeah."

Tom rolled his eyes. "'eard Addi might be joinin' this year, tho," he went on in a droll tone, knowing Camilla's interest would be piqued. "Guess you'll be swingin' by for a few, eh?"

Camilla scoffed. "Maybe. I dunno. Probably."

There was a moment of silence.

Then Camilla said, "Definitely."

"There she is." Tom smirked and nudged Afkinz with an elbow. "Saw that comin' from a mile away, eh, love?"

Afkinz gnawed on his paintbrush like a rabid beaver, shredding it in seconds.