CHAPTER XIV

Addison dreamed he was in a dark prison cell, chained to the wall

Addison dreamed he was in a dark prison cell, chained to the wall. His eyes were closed, yet he could see. He was blind, yet had... vision.

There was someone sitting in front of him. They had their back to him, but even in the darkness he could make out two defining characteristics: pale blonde hair and a fluffy fox's tail.

Addison tried to move, but couldn't. He tried to open his eyes, but couldn't. He tried to speak, but couldn't.

The other person, on the other hand, could.

"You make such dull company..."

The person's voice—frighteningly familiar, but blunt and formal—echoed through the cell. It was a voice Addison knew well... one he'd heard every day of his life.

It was his own.

Fear thrilled through Addison as the person turned slightly in his direction, revealing his very own face—albeit with a glowing white snake's eye in the middle of his forehead. "Let me out," he hissed.

Addison's eyelids fluttered. The word "no" formed on his lips.

The other one stood up and turned around fully, glaring down at Addison with his hands clenched into fists at his side. "Let. Me. OUT—"

 OUT—"

~*~

Addison abruptly awoke to intense, throbbing pain all over his body. His eyes fluttered open slowly, and he let out a muffled groan of agony as pain ripped through his shoulders. He looked up; his wrists were still tied to the wooden beam overhead. "MMMMFF!" he cried, struggling in vain for the millionth time to free himself. Fresh blood ran down his arms as the knife wounds that covered them were reopened, staining his bright green garb.

Addison continued to struggle while the man—Phineas—watched from nearby, seated in a comfortable-looking chair. He appeared contemplative, his chin resting on his hands as he eyed the youth.

Then, slowly, the Mad Queen's right-hand man rose from his seat and approached Addison, pulling down his gag. The boy let out a gasp, able to breathe normally for the first time since he'd lost consciousness at the hands of his abuser. "Please—" he began to beg, his voice raw and raspy.