CHAPTER XIII

Welcome back.

T H E Y H A V E B E E N W A I T I N G F O R Y O U

Veronika skimmed over the dead surface of the Wasteland with Addison on her back (not that she noticed), swooping around the spikes of earth that curved and jutted out of the ground. Addison stared fearfully at the creatures that roamed the barren land, glad that they had no apparent interest in the two interlopers.

However, his fear was soon redirected to the horizon as the tentacles wriggling on it grew ever larger as they drew closer and closer to the Madwoods. The sky reddened overhead, turning a bloody crimson the closer the twins got to their mysterious destination.

Soon, the roots of the tentacles came into view, but Veronika did not slow down. She shot right into the midst of them, dodging them with incredible skill—

—and then stopped.

Addison grimaced at the sudden jolt, almost certain he could've heard his bones rattling from the force of it. He blinked a couple times to refocus his eyes (which felt like they were rolling around in his skull)—and when he did, he finally got a good look at where they'd arrived.

It was a large, old-fashioned building, mansion-esque and decrepit in appearance—your classic "haunted house". An iron fence wrapped around it in a square, with a gate at the front overarched by a grate bearing a word in an unknown language:

 An iron fence wrapped around it in a square, with a gate at the front overarched by a grate bearing a word in an unknown language:

Veronika settled on the ground and folded her wings, forcing Addison to dismount and walk alongside her. As he did so, he looked over his shoulder to see Cierra and the snake emerging from the Madwoods.

And when they did, something strange occurred.

Addison and the snake locked gazes, each freezing in place momentarily. Addison's own eyes began to glow as the snake's did the same, each having some sort of hypnotic effect on the other.