CHAPTER XV

REBOUND

Thunder cracked the sky. Twin bolts of green lightning stretched across it, flashing and rippling violently, steadily, never fading away as they began to grow wider—like cracks in the very fabric of reality.

"Cameron! Cameron, is everything alright? Are you alright?"

Cameron staggered away from Cthylla as Zechariah's voice blared in her ears, pulling her raptor claws out of the Old One's head as the tentacles that had been holding her hostage fell away. "You... what did you do...?" she slurred, putting a hand on her head.

Cthylla fell to one knee with a grunt, placing her hand over the wounds on her cranium. "You will see," she breathed, letting out a hissy laugh as the wounds quickly healed. "The Old Ones are coming. Your world and all worlds connected to it... they are all forfeit."

       "Whooaaa

"Whooaaa..."

"Easy, Charlie. Take it easy."

Charlie put a hand on her head as the tentacles that had been wrapped around her receded into the cracks in the floor, which slowly closed a moment later. Vaggie steadied the princess from the side, helping her stay standing while Angel Dust let out a blue streak of confusion from the hotel lobby. "You okay?" Vaggie asked, giving Charlie a concerned look.

"Y—Yeah," Charlie stammered. "I think so." She looked around in confusion, watching the rest of the tentacles that had swallowed up the hotel vanish. "What happened?"

"I dunno. But we can look into it later," Vaggie told her. "Right now, we gotta get to work cleaning up this mess."

"R-Right." Charlie looked over her shoulder. "Niffty! We need a cleanup in the lobby!" she called.

"On-it-on-it-ON-IT!" Niffty declared, speeding through the lobby like a whirlwind.

-

"My-my-my, what a show!"

Zuriel narrowed his eyes from the shadows as Alastor twirled his wand like a baton. "A delectable sneak peek at what's to come! A tantalizing teaser, one might say!" Alastor chortled. "Oh-ho-ho, I cannot WAIT for what comes next!"

"Don't be so eager for what lies ahead, my friend," Zuriel warned. "There's something bigger going on here... something that goes beyond either of us." He flipped open his pocket-watch, checking the time, and then snapped it shut and put it away. "I intend to find out what it is," he said in a low voice, adjusting his suit, "and put it to good use."

"I like the way you think, jumbo!" Alastor strolled out of the darkness into one of the hotel hallways, adding, "There's only room for one puppet master 'round here, after all..."