The Outsiders

(sorry about the last chapter being sad- maybe this will heal your heart <3 oh and this chapter contains smoking cigarettes, just for a short moment!! 🚬 ALSO THIS IS NOT AN OUTSIDERS BOOK BY S.E. HINTON REFRENCE 😡)

               I woke up to Mr again. He rested a palm on my face like he had the day before. What was his deal? I quickly sat up. I'd had my first nightmare, and he finally woke me up. I breathed heavily.

               "Hey, hey! Are you okay?" Mr sounded concerned. I sighed, relieved the nightmare was over. Dreams were a new concept to me. Everything was new to me, really..

               I nodded. "Yes, I'm okay." I sleepily rubbed my eyes. "What is it? What.. is P1 doing okay?" I remembered yesterday. Stress flooded my body.

               "Yes, yes, P1 is okay.. I don't know why you'd ask. Quite fond of him, hm?" Mr giggled, bopping my flat nose. I sighed, relieved. "He closed the arcade today. Said he had things to do. I didn't really question it." Mr shrugged. I noticed he was back to his usual black suit and signature red tie. He really didn't know about the day before, did he? Maybe that was for the better.

               I got up off my couch. "Yesterday you said something about.. outsiders?" I yawned, sliding my shoes on over my socks.

               Mr nodded. "Yeah, visitors from outside of World. They come once a month. Quite rude things they are, if you ask me!" Mr set his hands on his hips, sort of a playful position.

               I walked through my house, and went to my bathroom to check on my appearance again. I noticed that I still wore the necklace that Arthur had given me. The pendant hung right over my heart. I looked behind me in the mirror. Mr was eagerly watching me, eyes wide. "I think I'm going to spend time with Arthur today." I said, looking back at my own reflection as I adjusted my clothes and necklace.

               "Oh, that's perfectly fine! Arthur does prefer to have someone familiar with him on days the outsiders come to visit, usually me. Helps him run things." Mr nodded. "I'll be quite busy myself today." He sighed, sounding annoyed. These "outsiders" seemed to be stressing everyone out.

               I turned around and looked at Mr. I opened my arms for a hug. He looked a little surprised, but rushed to give me a tight squeeze. I nearly felt my ribcage explode.. why was Mr so unnecessarily strong?!

               "Okay! I'll see you later, then, Mr!" I smiled at him. Only then I noticed how I was quite a few inches taller than him. He was short! I giggled.

               Mr nodded. "Yes! I'll see you!"

.
.

               We went our separate ways. I went toward the church, Mr went toward.. wherever. I hummed until I reached the building. I noticed Arthur outside, leaning on the right side of the building, arms crossed. A small cloud of smoke surrounded him. Was he okay? I rushed over to him.

               "Arthur! Are-" I began, but stopped myself when I saw what he was doing. He was smoking a cigarette - but I didn't know what those were, really. "What are you doing?"

               Arthur sighed, blowing smoke from where I imagined his mouth would be. "Just.. getting my day started. Cigarettes and coffee. I already had coffee." Arthur looked at me. His tone was flat, as usual. "Anyway, it's nice to see you! I didn't see you yesterday, was everything alright?" Arthur sounded genuinely concerned.

               "Uh- no, no, things weren't alright last night. Things went down yesterday, but it's dealt with." I sighed. "I'm sorry I missed our little meet up!" I did feel quite bad. Arthur gave me a necklace, the grumpiest neighbor in town gave me a gift, and I couldn't do as much as meet him later! I felt guilty.