The Political Powerplay

The entry of Dwarka into the bilateral issue of Hastinapur and Kalinga was  going to offer a new dimension to the previous proceedings . The back to back losses were something that had Hastinapur was finding difficult to recover from . Hence the guidance of the brilliant politician of the land was something necessary at this point of time . Krishna favored a peaceful approach rather than going into war again but convincing the war mongers was never going to be an easy job . The spies too had brought the inside news of Panchal and Magadha trying to benefit from the decline of Kurus .

The first thing that they needed to avoid was to cut off the possible allies of Kalinga . Magadha was the frontrunner in the list as Dwarka was expected in the side of Hastinapur. Hence they needed a fool proof plan to capture the mighty Jarasandha before he went out with his plans . Things had to be preponed and hence Krishna planned to execute Jarasandha by smuggling a disguised Bheemsena inside the borders of Magadha . Bheemasena did his part exceptionally well by tearing apart the majestic wrestler as per the instructions of his cousin . The death of Jarasandha made Magadha vulnerable and Krishna forwarded the condition of the succeeding son of Jarasandha to accept the allegiance of Hastinapur.

Having managed Magadha with ease , the next task cut out was dealing with  the supporters of Jarasandha like Shishupala and Rukmi . Rukmi was the brother in law of Krishna although he had a terrible relationship with the latter . Getting him under the wings of Hastinapur was difficult for Krishna directly . But he was someone who played things weirdly . He knew that Rukmi was someone who was fond of gambling and therefore he convinced Dhritarastra to force Shakuni into his plan . The wily fox was himself trying to calculate the pros and cons of the ploy yet gave in to his favorite sport thereby claiming another pawn in the game .

Shishupala wasn't ever the one who would go anywhere close to Krishna . The adorable one of Dwarka had famously abducted his bride from amidst his wedding . Krishna however had promised his mother to forgive a hundred sins from him . Hence he couldn't kill him outright without himself getting humiliated . He took his job effortlessly as he attempted to enter the kingdom of Shishupala , Chedi unarmed . On the very sight of his eternal foe the arrogant king hurled abuses one after another which his cousin soaked like a sponge . Each of the abuses were returned by a teasing smile of the Muralidhara which further infuriated the Chedinaresh . The unidirectional shower of innovative curses and abuse went on until the king lost the count of his sins . The end of the king appeared quite prematurely as the magical discus of the Preserver of the universe severed his head offering him eternal rest .

Poundraka the king of Pundravardhana and a self proclaimed maniac as well . He had declared himself to be the Incarnation of the Preserver of the Universe and made a group of his own followers . He was too someone who would detest the son of Devaki for having harboured enormous popularity . The imposter however fell to anyone who praised him . Krishna was pretty much aware of this fool and hence sent the sons of Madri to trap him . The twins were exceptional pranksters and hence they sang praises of the fool who believed them to be his devotees . The attention seeker was so much overwhelmed with the heaps of praise dedicated to himself that he sent away the whole of his army along with his commander for the sake of his so called devotees .

The next hurdle was the one who had already been defeated by the Pandavas during their war for Gurudakshina. The king of Panchal had pledged to avenge his insult . But the one who had instigated the insult was killed fighting the battle with Kalinga. However the history of Panchal never had a great relationship with the Kurus and hence supporting them was out of question. Moreover it was them who had humiliated him . Though Krishna was sure about getting over them with ease , he wanted to play safe against the relatively unknown opponent . Hence he didn't want any of the kingdoms to side with the Kalinga to ensure the best shot at victory . And for this to be achieved Panchal had a great role to play .

Krishna had got a fair deal of idea about the plans of Drupad . What he was trying to do could change the course of the game as Draupadi was going to be the key to the strength of the Pandavas . Hence he couldn't afford her to go with the son of Varuna . That could have been a natural attraction of the opposites being one from the fire while the other of the water but  her presence was necessary in the lives of Kaunteyas . To trap the vengeance hungry king in the ploy they needed a plan effective enough to satisfy his ego . And the only option that seemed viable was the pride of Hastinapur being at the service of Panchal .

Dushala , the only princess of Hastinapur was bethroted to Jaydratha,  the erstwhile king of Sindhudesh . The sudden turnaround of events saw her marriage being first postponed and then terminated with the death of the Saindhava. The marriage of the only daughter of Dhritarastra was sabotaged by the fate and this brought about the dwindling prospects in future . However Krishna saw an opportunity in the daughter of Gandhari as he formulated a plan to get her married to Dhristadyumna , the son of Drupada .
The marital alliance will both sooth the ego of the defeated king and alleviate the misery of the Kurus thereby preventing Panchal from going with Kalinga.

However Dhritarastra and Vidura weren't willing for the alliance as they saw this as a move of accepting the authority of Panchal whom they had defeated in past

However Dhritarastra and Vidura weren't willing for the alliance as they saw this as a move of accepting the authority of Panchal whom they had defeated in past . But Shakuni was willing to see Hastinapur go down on its knees and hence supported Krishna in this alliance . Dhritarastra agreed to the proposal unwillingly but wanted to ensure that his daughter won't be widowed too soon . Hence he forwarded his plans to get his daughter married after the war . However the proposal was sent to Panchal and Drupada was overjoyed with the upper hand that he possessed presumably  over Kurus after so long . The alliances being set properly worked upon themselves to gather a formidable army before the Kalingas in the next battle which could possibly threaten the existence itself .