10

Word Count: 1803

~Hunter

The air is cold around me as I stalk as quickly toward the edge of the forest as fast I can.

My legs and back collectively protest with each step, but I fight on. This is the first time I've left the manor since I got here a few weeks ago, and it feels great.

Even if each step makes me feel like I'm about to collapse.

Once I make it to the perimeter wall, I scale along it to find a side gate that staff use. Tay mentioned in passing that the lock is rusty and no one has bothered to replace it.

I knock it loose and pass through with little issue.

I pick my way carefully through the forest, trying to focus with the low lighting. The nearest village isn't too far from here, apparently, and I want to find out where Kaan is going, and what he's doing in the middle of the night.

"Following me?"

I nearly scream, whirling around. Kaan emerges from behind a tree, smirking knowingly at me.

Letting out a deep breath, I try calm my thundering heart. When did he figure out I was following him? I thought there was a decent gap between us.

"How did you know?" I ask, my breathing harsh.

He folds his arms, shrugging. "Got the feeling."

He's obviously planning on seeing someone. His dark clothing nearly has him melting into the shadows, although his deep green eyes glow brightly.

"I needed to get out," I tell him. At least I'm not lying. I just don't want to add 'so when I saw you I used it as an excuse to leave and tried to follow you.'

His stare devours me. "I'm surprised you could even walk."

"It wasn't hard," I lie.

I can feel pain whispering to me. It's begging for attention, but I refuse to grant it. If I do, I'll sit down on the forest floor and I won't get back up again.

"Hurry up then." He starts walking away, not giving me another look.

I could either turn around now, except my failure and crawl back into bed. Or I could go with Kaan and see what he gets up to when he leaves the house.

"Where are we going?" I ask, limping slightly as I try to keep up with his long strides.

"Shh."

I roll my eyes. I can't stand this man. I'm glad he isn't my Alpha.

We walk silently for a while, making our way along a well-worn path that I'm assuming was caused by Kaan. I stare at his strong back, and those arms I wish weren't covered by a jacket.

I hope he's not taking me to seduce women. That's the last thing I want to see.

By the time we make it to village I'm hobbling, pain lancing up and down my back. Everything aches and I'm desperately needing to sit down, so when an old bar comes into view, and Kaan leads me toward it, I don't complain.