19

Word Count: 1986

~Hunter

I press my ear against my bedroom door, waiting for the signal.

This meeting has been carefully orchestrated. This morning, just as the sun was spilling over the horizon, I snuck outside to the garden shed where I left a note tucked into some gardening gloves.

There is no guarantee Edgar will have found the note, and will be coming to my room tonight, but I didn't know how else to do it casually.

Now that I am to marry the Alpha, all eyes seem to be on me at all times.

A single tap sounds against the door, right near my ear. Just like I instructed.

I quickly open the door, letting him slip in. We shouldn't be disturbed, since it's so late, and there is a lot I need to get off my chest.

"Thank you for coming, I know it's a big risk for you," I murmur lowly, rubbing the back of my neck as I turn to him.

He looks around the room, an unreadable expression on his face. I wonder if this reminds him of my room back home, except this is much larger, lighter and is missing my sister.

Maybe that's why it feels so much better here, than back there...

"I wanted to see you," he says.

"We need to set a deadline for when we can get out of here," I exclaim urgently, striding across the room.

Since finding out Kaan is my mate a few days ago, I've decided I need to get out of here soon. Really soon, even if I'm in insufferable pain most of the time. Kaan will likely hunt me down, to add to the list of those wanting me back, under their control.

But I have to take the risk...I can't stay here.

"It's when you feel better, right? Then we leave." Edgar watches me as I sit on the edge of the bed, stretching my legs out as pain grips my lower back. "I'm earning good money here, so if we get out of here, we will have a good shot at starting a life."

"We leave soon. I've been feeling consistently bad everyday, though, and it hasn't gotten better. I think my injury was far worse than I thought, or maybe the poison on the arrow that hit me is still lingering in my system..."

Edgar shakes his head at me. "We should wait a little longer, I think."

He's always been rigidly reasonable. He knows that if we leave now, we have less of a chance of getting away successfully, and if he is caught with me, he will be killed for it.

"I know you're right...I'm just anxious to get out of here," I admit, rubbing my palms down my thighs.

"Understandably. You're being married to the Alpha who rules here, right?"

I nod numbly. "And in a week, too."

I'm not going to tell Edgar I am mated to Kaan. It will only complicate things more, and I don't want him to start doubting whether I should leave here.

People value mate bonds a lot. I'm not sure how Edgar feels about it, but I've learnt not to trust people enough to take chances on such matters. Even if he is my best friend.

"That's not going to happen. I refuse to let you be tied to another man against your will. Just let me figure a few more things out," he murmurs, sweeping his straight brown locks away from his face.

I smile. "Thank you Edgar. I owe you so much."

Forcing myself up, I embrace him. He reminds me so much of home, but only the good parts. He was all I ever lived for.

A knock suddenly sounds at the door.

I freeze in Edgar's arms, my eyes widening. Shit.

Pushing away from him, I turn to the door, holding my breath. I'm hoping they will assume I'm sleeping, and accidently left my light on, but another knock sounds urgently.