28

Word Count: 1749

~Hunter

I flip the page of my book, trying to relax.

It's hard to concentrate on anything when I know what is coming. Tomorrow, everything with Vinn is going to go down, and no matter how desperately I want to avoid it, I can't.

This is going to happen.

Azura sits at the opposite end of the table, blissfully unaware. It's making it much easier to pretend like tomorrow isn't coming, and that I'm not currently married.

Thankfully, Azura has made no indication that she cares at all about her brother and I's wedding. Technically she's my sister-in-law, which I don't mind.

I mean, it's much better than thinking about being directly connected to their parents.

The door opens behind us. I glance over my shoulder, watching Tay wander in tentatively.

My brows draw together. I've never seen Tay come up to see her sister before. Seeing her amongst the bookshelves doesn't seem right, like she belongs outside in the sun instead.

Tay slides into a seat next to mine. "Ah, there you are."

"Hey Tay," I greet quietly, not wanting to breach the ambience of this place that makes it so peaceful.

Azura stiffens across the table, darting her eyes between her book and her sister. Looking at them like this, they not only clearly have nothing in common, they don't look all that much alike. It's as if their genetics are opposed to each other too.

"Come on, let's go do something fun." She snags my sleeve, blinking her long eyelashes at me.

Unfortunately for her, I'm not Zain. I'm not going to fall for those tricks.

"I kind of want to finish this book," I admit, showing her that I still have a quarter of my book left. It's just getting to the climax of the story, and I've finally gotten into enough to get distracted from my reality.

Tay pulls away, pouting. "Oh...okay. Can I read with you?"

"Of course." I gesture to all the books on the shelves around us.

She looks around, tapping her chin thoughtfully.

"Which book should I read?"

"Whatever one looks the best," I mumble, trying to keep my eyes on the sentence I'm reading, although her talking to me isn't making it easy.

She wanders around the table, barely giving the spines much of a glance. Azura's jaw tightens as her sister walks behind her chair. I can't tell if Tay's presence annoys her, or if she's afraid of her.

If only she could tell me...

"I don't usually read," Tay utters, looking back at me.

"It's never too late to try," I muse. I'm sure there is at least one book on the shelf she would enjoy. Even if it's just one with pretty illustrations.

She comes up behind me, resting her hands on my shoulder. "Can I read over your shoulder?"

I sigh, turning the page, although I'm not entirely sure I even retained anything that was on it.

"My book is nearly done. Maybe you can start a new one?" I encourage. I don't think anyone likes the feeling of someone leaning over their shoulder, trying to get a glimpse of whatever they are doing.

"Oh yeah. Of course."

She sounds a little dejected as she moves back to the shelf. She plucks the first one she sees before sliding back into her seat, flipping it open.

I watch her quietly, as she opens the cover and reads the first page. Minutes pass and she doesn't turn the page, her brow furrowed in concentration.

"Is everything okay, Tay? You don't have to do this if you don't want to," I remind her.

She groans, slamming the book shut before sliding it across the table, nearly bumping into Azura and her book.

"I just want to spend time with you. It feels as though you either like being with yourself alone or with Kaan," she grumbles.

"We are just becoming familiar with each other, considering we are married now."

In reality, Kaan and I have been trying to plot out a plan for how to deal with Vinn. Our approaches have been wildly different so far. It seems I haven't been able to stop him from wanting to be present during our meeting.

It's either that, or he storms straight in there, kills my ex fiancé and starts a war between Packs that would cost endless lives.

"I miss you," Tay pouts.

I rest my hand atop her, sharing a warm smile. "We will do something soon, just us two."

"Good. And you better keep this up, since you're staying here forever." Tay grins, nudging me in a way that reminds me of the horror that I've been trying to avoid thinking about.

The clattering sound of Azura dropping her book fills the room, causing me to jump. She's staring at us now, her eyes wide and fearful.

"Ah..." I cast my attention back to Tay. "I don't know if we will live in this estate forever. I would like some space."

If I'm forced in this position for ever, I know I won't be spending my life in this estate. There are too many people here trying to command my life, trying to air out my secrets to whoever will hear them.

What I need is space, with Kaan...a space to find out who my mate truly is.

"But you two are Alpha and Luna. You have to live here, it's tradition," Tay tells me, her desperation for me to understand that burning in her eyes.

"I need to think about it-"

All of a sudden, Azura's shrill scream fills the room. It's so loud, so blood-curdling I nearly cover my ears.

Her eyes are screwed shut, her face red, her fingers rolled into fists. She sounds like she is being tortured, her voice rough and hoarse from never being used.

"What are you doing?" Tay yells at her, irritation morphing her expression.

She doesn't stop screaming, ignoring her sister's questioning.

"Azura...Are you okay?" I ask loudly, trying to capture her attention.

I stand, ready to comfort her, but someone brushes past me. It's Kaan.

He shifts to Azura's side, grabbing the sides of her face. "Azura, look at me."

As her head turns and she realises it's her brother beside her, her screams cease completely, leaving a ringing sound behind in my ears.

"You're okay. You're safe, alright?" He soothes her, and she falls into his arms, sobbing.

I watch on, both confused and amazed. I can't believe I once thought he was hurting her, when clearly there's something going inside her head, caused by this horrible environment.

"Let me take you to your room, then, I'll get you your favourite drink. Does that sound okay?" He asks her.

She nods weakly.

He sweeps her up into his arms, giving me an unreadable look before he carries her from the room.

"What just happened?" I ask Tay, still reeling from what I just witnessed.

"She does that sometimes," Tay mutters, shaking her head. She looks annoyed, like her sister's personal torment gets on her nerves.

"She was scared..."

"She does it for Kaan's attention. She just wants to be babied by him, and he's stupid enough to let her get away with it." She rubs her hand down her face.

"Tay..."

She jerks back, the chair scraping against the wood floor. "Whatever. I'm tired."

I watch as she turns her back on me and strides out the door. Surprise rattles through me. I don't think I've ever seen Tay act in such a way.

Muttering to myself, I leave my book on the table and sweep through the hallway to Azura's room. I need to make sure she is okay and to enquire about what may have triggered such a reaction.

As I approach her door, Kaan slips out of it, closing the door behind him.

"She should be asleep soon," he tells me, rubbing a hand through his hair, stress lining his expression.

"Is she okay?"

"I don't know. These episodes have been very common recently," he admits.

"What causes it?" She looked absolutely terrified, like she could see something we couldn't, or perhaps she could sense something.

All I know is whatever is making her feel that way is vile and terrible.

"She feels trapped here. She wants to escape, but our parents would never allow that to happen," he tells me, saying it as if he's reluctant to share that information.

I sigh, looking down at my feet. Azura seemed so interested in running away with me, and now I'm tied here, and she knows that it means she's tied here too.

That must have been what set her off.

"Could we take her out for a day or something?" I ask softly, guilt biting at me.

Kaan frowns, looking over me. "Are you even well enough for that?"

I shrug. I've been sicker than usual these past couple days since the wedding. I've been trying to preserve my energy for tomorrow.

I'm going to need it when facing off with Vinn.

"I'm fine..."

"You and I both know that isn't true," he murmurs lowly.

I look down at his hand, which looks like it wants to reach out to touch me.

"You're very sweet to her. I don't ever think I've seen you so gentle," I say, thinking back to the way he soothed her so easily. Her reaction suggests this isn't the first time, and that he is the only one to make her feel better.

Pain flickers through his deep green eyes. "She's my sister. I love her."

"Tay wasn't sympathetic at all," I note. I'm not sure being siblings has much to do with it.

"She is too busy obsessing over you to care about anyone else." He smiles, although there is something cold behind that look.

I give him a sour look. "Very funny..."

"Sometimes I'm convinced Tay would kill me so she could be married to you instead." He rests his arm over my shoulder, walking me back down the hallway.

"Maybe I'd probably prefer that," I joke.

He flicks my nose. "Sorry wife..."

My breath hitches as he leans down, his mouth brushing against my ear. "She isn't your mate. I am."

💜••💜

If you want to support my writing, you can always read  the COMPLETED novel on Radish (:

My latest novel, the Cold Prince, is out now on Wattpad! I hope you'll check it out (:

~Midika 💜🐼