Chapter 2

The Snowstorm (Part 2)

"Si traveled ahead of me. We were not speaking to each other. The snow came upon us hard and fast. I called out to Si, but he could not hear me. I snapped Equinox's bridle to catch up with him, yelling after him to slow down, so we would not get separated. Despite that, he could not hear me due to winds coming in all directions. The oddest thing happened... Just before Si disappeared, he looked at me. Then a wall of snow came down, dividing us. But when it ended... My friend was gone. Not even a set of tracks in the snow. I could not scout for him due to that damn blizzard!"

Rye--

1

The sky grew dark, and the air grew cold as I kept a watchful eye on the black figure. Using the skills that Father taught me, I knelt on one knee with my right leg up, feeling for my dagger that I strapped near my ankle. With my right hand searching, my eyes stayed true to my target. My heartbeat, beat wildly in my chest, feeling the vibrations within my hands. I concentrated on breathing out through my mouth and in through my nose, making the beats of my heart steady.

There were stories by the children in Masa that an old witch lived in the twisted tree, which is called Ce-Na. Which means in Masa, a twisted tree that grows in the moonlight. I looked upon the unknown figure as it stopped. Is the witch returning home? I thought, as my right hand found the rosewood handle of the dagger sheathed to my calf.

Then the oddest thing happened. The figure tilted its head to the right, then to the left, as if studying me, wondering what I was or if it knew me.

Father told me stories of ghouls feasting upon the dead in cemeteries. Some believe that ghouls were once human, now cursed by a god or a goddess. Father knew better than to believe in stories such as gods cursing humans to eat rotten flesh. My father believed ghouls were people structured by lunacy.

It would not make sense for a ghoul to travel all this way by itself. On some rare occasions, ghouls have journeyed to small villages, such as Masa, but this was different. The gate of the bipedal was clean and perfect. Not clumsy and stupid like ghouls usually are. This unknown figure was wearing a cloak, with a hood, muting all facial features, making it impossible for me to get a clear look at it.

The wind suddenly picks up, causing my hair to sway with the breeze. The figure in front of me held firm of its hood then waved to me.

What a queer thing. I thought, standing upward with the dagger in my hand concealed behind the thickness of my forearm. Almost making it look as if I held no weapon at all. "State your business!" I yelled over the wind, with flurries dancing in front of us.

The figure spoke not but kept waving, beckoning me to come closer. I took a few steps forward. Feeling the dagger in my right hand. "Are you a demon?" I asked.

The figure shook its head from side to side, but it kept beckoning me with its hands.

"Cooommme, closer, my child." The figure spoke in a harsh whisper. "Cooommme, closer so as I can see you better, my child."

I stood two feet away from the figure. With the dagger in my right hand, I pointed at the unknown. "Reveal yourself at once!" I shouted with blade pointed.

Two pale hands emerged from under the cloak, then placed themselves on each side of the hood. Making itself known to me. "You do not recognize your own aunt?"

"Aunt Aslis?"

"Aye! It is your aunt, Aslis. It has been a while, but I'm sorry to say... Your Uncle Harold passed away a few years back. Now! Let us take a good look at you. My! How have you grown. I remember the last time I saw you. You were much shorter than... Dear—I believe it is time to put the dagger away. I see your father has trained you and trained you well. But please, put that thing away before someone gets hurt."