Chapter 18

The Cursed Ones

(In Morrighan's Owen words)

1

I kissed Rye. I kissed him on his ruddy lips. It was a kiss of the purest form--it was not a kiss of love or attraction, but out of friendship and joy, knowing he was alive and well. When I found him, I found him asleep under the shade of a Weeping Willow tree where Rye's horse Equinox also stood keeping watch over his fallen master. I remember to this day the expression that I saw on Equinox's face as he stood over Rye with head bent low, expecting his master to awaken. It was a sad, lonely expression that I had yet to see on any animal or on any person. In raven form, I perched myself slightly out of reach and view as Equinox waited patiently over his master. Even as I write this, I can still feel the sorrow and see the haunted stare of Rye's horse. It still lingers within me to this very day.

Doing what I could in raven form, I sang to ease the troubled horse from his worries and cares by having his eyes cast themselves upon me, but his eyes refused to waver. Even as I flapped my wings and landed softly on fertile soil, Equinox paid no heed to my demands for attention. His heart belonged to his master and to no one else. I came to Equinox as a bringer of good news and tidings of joy, but Equinox refused to listen... That is, until I became a body of light that the beast finally noticed. And noticed he did as he stood upon his hind legs, kicking with great fury with the usage of his front legs. I stretched out my hand as a thin ray of light came from the center of my hand. It was the light that connected me with the beast then soon soothed his troubled mind. Our thoughts became as one as I communicated with the gentle creature. I spoke not with lips or tongues, but with only thoughts. Thoughts that transferred into Equinox's mind telling him that Rye, his master, is indeed alive and well, but only asleep. And for his reward for taking care of his master, he shall eat grass from the meadow and drink from the coolness of the nearby stream. I also stated to Equinox that I will always protect them by placing a brand, a mark on them both. Which I did later before my departure.

The sun was high; the breeze was warm with a faint smell of honeysuckle. I watched as Equinox played in the open meadow and smiled as I watched him play. He played as if it had been years since he did so. Then my thoughts shifted slowly towards Phreebous and the nomads that my half-sister had cursed as wereboars.

My skin was no longer made of light, but of flesh. My long black hair tickled the pale skin of my back, reminding me where I placed the golden dagger after I ran it through Phreebous's heart. I stood in silence gazing upon Rye as he laid sleeping. Then I pulled the golden dagger out from the bun of my hair, which held it in place. With the golden dagger in hand, I made my way over to Rye, then knelt beside him. I placed the golden dagger at his bosom then gently brought his hands over the dagger, making sure he would see it when he awakes.

I then placed my lips over his, then kissed him gently as tears fell upon his cheeks. I loved Rye, and I missed my husband, Si, as I felt the warmth of Rye's lips. I smiled through the tears, then stroked his hairy cheeks for one last time before rising myself up to my feet. I remember not if I had spoken a single word to Rye or if I had spoken a speech, but what I remember is casting a spell--a spell, to place my mark upon beast and man.

2

After the spell was complete and the mark was upon Rye and Equinox, I said my last goodbyes. I then, in raven form, flew over the majestic treetops searching below for the nomads that lived in the forest. Images of Phreebous's face flashed before my mind's eye. It is a terrible thing in taking a life of a mortal or even a god. I could not stop replaying the death of Phreebous nor stop seeing the golden dagger being thrusted inside his chest. The look he gave as his eyes rolled back inside his head will stay with me forever. I can still feel the grip of his hand followed by the gentle release as he died.... It is a terrible thing.