Chapter 8

The Eyes of Mórrígan

(In Her Own Words)

1

I am sure Tara, the daughter of Rye, had spoken upon the twelve gates known to many as realms or realities to others. I left my reality when I was only fifteen with nothing strapped to my back but had revenge in my heart. I wanted to find my half-sister Lillian but was unsure how to go about it. The reality that I found myself in was far different from what I was used to. The realm I found myself in is called Masa. It was there I met Si for the first time. Fact is, he was the first person I talked to when I came through the gate or portal, as some would call it. Si was young and handsome, broad shouldered with a thick woolly beard. Our languages were distinct, so we did what we could in communicating by drawing pictures in the dirt. Si drew a stick like man in the dirt, then wrote Soba over top of his drawing then pointed at himself. I pointed back then spoke "Soba" back at him. He smiled, confirming it was indeed his name. I took the same stick that he drew with, then drew what looked like a body of water with an island at the center. I wrote the word Ireland over the island. Next to us was a large body of water. They looked like the sea at home. It was my way of saying that I had come far. Which indeed I did. Then I drawled a stick girl, making it look like myself. I then wrote Mórrígan then pointed to myself, sounding out each syllable Mor-ri-gan. The sound of my voice seemed to confuse or upset him. Not that he did not like the sound of my accent but did not know where to place it. I point back at the picture I drew of the sea and the island that was my home, telling him that my land was far away.

Si offered me to stay with him, which I took up on his offer. To understand the language of Masa, I first will use the first name of my departed husband. To the land in which I lived, my husband's name is written like so, S-i. But in the land in which I had found myself in, Si is written like this. Soba, or So-ba, when broken down. When I met Isabella and Rye for the first time, they simply called Soba, Si, which means uncle, or friend, determine how one uses the word. I, of course, took the liberties of combining Soba and Si. So, to me, Soba is pronounced as Si, which everyone in Masa knew him as. Rarely had I heard anyone use the name of Soba.

Six weeks later, I became Si's wife. During the ceremony and the customs of Masa, the husband places a white stone necklace over his beloved's head. Under the white stone is a new name for his bride. I became known as Ada. The name Ada is known in Masa as One that carries the Light, or One that is the light. Later, Si made it known that Morrigan was something he could not pronounce. Then told me I became the light in his life. It was his way of thanking me. Then I realized how foolish I was when I told Si my true name, but I was only fifteen back then, a young woman and naïve. It was the help of my husband that concealed my true name.

Despite not keeping my true name hidden, I kept my intentions of living in Masa to myself. It was difficult lying to the one I loved dearly, and to his friend Rye and Isabella that welcomed me with open arms. I loved Isabella like a sister and at other times felt like a mother to me. When Tara was born, I helped in watching over her as Isabella went out to the local markets. There were times I had to conceal my hatred over the small stone statue of Lillian that Isabella placed on a pedestal during her morning prayers and offerings to her. When Isabella asked me to join, I refused by saying. "I had given her enough already."

I kept my true self hidden from Si and his friends. It was something that mother had spoken to me about concerning of who I am. When blood flowed for the first time, Mother explained to me the mysteries of nature and what I would face as I continued to grow into womanhood. It was then she spoke to me of my father, Caz. And it was then I learned who I truly was. With that knowledge, I kept the goddess portion of myself hidden, in keeping myself and Mother safe from my half-sister, Lillian.